Can someone who has recently sailed out of NYC clarify CHEERS question?

SKrauss

Hi all,

I have a question... we have sailed on Carnival out of NYC a few years ago when CHEERS was first introduced and until we got out to sea we had to pay tax on the drinks but they were still covered under the program and we were able to activate the card. We just booked the Carnival Horizon for July 2018 and I see that the policy now says you cant use CHEERS til Day 2? Can someone who has recently sailed out of NYC clarify how this works?

Hi all,

I have a question... we have sailed on Carnival out of NYC a few years ago when CHEERS was first introduced and until we got out to sea we had to pay tax on the drinks but they were still covered under the program and we were able to activate the card. We just booked the Carnival Horizon for July 2018 and I see that the policy now says you cant use CHEERS til Day 2? Can someone who has recently sailed out of NYC clarify how this works?

I can't speak for NYC but this was the case for us when we sailed out of Galveston. It was my understanding (and I could have totally misunderstood it) that they can not do the Cheers package until day 2 on cruises sailing out of these ports due to state or city "happy hour" laws. Basically meaning that you can't offer discount drink rates based on ordering large quantities, etc.

Correct Cheers is not available until Day 2 on cruises out of NYC and Galveston. Don't have an exact answer as to why, but I would imagine it has something to do with local liquor laws. So for day 1 you will have to purchase everything a la carte, just as if you didn't have Cheers, and when you wake up on day 2 cheers will be available. Keep in mind you will also be paying for one less night of cheers now too, so if you booked an 8 night cruise your only paying for 7 nights of Cheers. To keep costs low on day 1 take advantage of the 1 bottle of wine your allowed to carry on per adult.

Correct Cheers is not available until Day 2 on cruises out of NYC and Galveston. Don't have an exact answer as to why, but I would imagine it has something to do with local liquor laws. So for day 1 you will have to purchase everything a la carte, just as if you didn't have Cheers, and when you wake up on day 2 cheers will be available. Keep in mind you will also be paying for one less night of cheers now too, so if you booked an 8 night cruise your only paying for 7 nights of Cheers. To keep costs low on day 1 take advantage of the 1 bottle of wine your allowed to carry on per adult.

Correct: I've done 8 Carnival cruises out of NYC. Cheers always starts on Day 2.