Passport ID Cards?

meansun

Hello Everyone! We are scheduled for a cruise on the Allure March 18th going to Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Does anyone know if I can use my new passport ID card rather than bring my passport?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone! We are scheduled for a cruise on the Allure March 18th going to Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Does anyone know if I can use my new passport ID card rather than bring my passport?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the passpoprt cards are acceptable ID for cruises that start and end at the same US port.

If you have a regular passport bring it. The biggest reason for a passport is if there is an incident of something happens that you have to fly home. If that happens the card does you no good.

Nobody's flying home........

Nobody's flying home........

Okay then you don't need a passport at all then. Just bring your drivers license. Accidents never happen and nobody ever misses the cruise or has a medical issue and has to fly. Do you think you just get on the next cruise ship that's passing by?

Since you can't fly with them I never saw the reason for the card. It's no better than a drivers license.

Have done 16 cruises with just passport card and have never had a problem. These cruises were all closed loop from florida and seattle.

Passport card is great to use when driving across border from canada. I believe you can use it for the mexico boder crossing also. At the canadian border there is a rfid reader that you can wave your passport card in front of. This definitely speeds up the process as the boarder agent has your file and pic on their screen by the time you drive up to agent.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

It's no better than a drivers license.

True, unless you live somewhere along the 5000+ miles of land border with Canada or Mexico... In that case it's a much more wallet friendly form-factor for crossing the border.

,,, It's no better than a drivers license.

Not true, it's good for land travel to Canada and Mexico and closed end cruises. It's also acceptable for airline travel in the US, which can come in handy if you get a ticket on the way to the airport and they take your DL.

Okay then you don't need a passport at all then. Just bring your drivers license. Accidents never happen and nobody ever misses the cruise or has a medical issue and has to fly. Do you think you just get on the next cruise ship that's passing by?

Since you can't fly with them I never saw the reason for the card. It's no better than a drivers license.

But you can fly with a passport card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From a Cruise Critic article.

“The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. You cannot use a passport card on cruises from international homeports. Even on a closed-loop sailing out of the U.S., if you're forced to disembark unexpectedly, need to fly home from a foreign port and only have a U.S. passport card, you can expect delays getting home. To protect yourself against emergency situations, go with a passport book, which covers all international travel -- by air, sea or land.”

So again why only take a card with those limitations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums