What advise would you give to first time cruiser?

ruecatt

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

How much in advance do you need to book the room service breakfast and how do you do so?

Every evening the stateroom steward leaves an order form on the bed, and if you fill it in and hang it outside your door (before 1am I think it is but it says what time), then the breakfast is delivered at the time you ticked. If the weather is good then I get the steward to put the tray on the balcony table.

DA1BE5CA-9AAF-411B-9F00-463405F5AFBF.jpeg

Edited by Beesue
Photo too large

Don't plan everything - especially shore excursions. Ship excursions give you a great guarantee of getting back on time, but after possibly a few days of being crammed into a tight space, it's good to get away from the pack - get a good taxi, and find a secluded spot to relax. I love some Caribbean excursions, but prefer the less crowded beaches. 

Don't be afraid of the "formal" dress code. The atmosphere is still as laid back as ever. 

Meet & mingle with fellow passengers. You never know who you might meet.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:13 PM, mef_57 said:

You don't have to do it all!!!

Some run around trying to do every activity in the daily paper, and a full day organized trip in every port and then collapse when they get home, or don't remember what they did or where.

I agree and I followed one tip to take a highlighter pen and highlight the ship events you want to go to. That helps you to see immediately where and when you need to be there. It also helps to avoid overloading your day. We did do the organised ship tours booked on line ahead of time but easily either booked changed or cancelled on the ship during the cruise, all of which I did. The organised tours suited our needs and we enjoyed them all however I am thinking of doing our own next time with more experience.

Definitely do not be put off by the formal dress code. I was a bit worried about it but need not have been. Basically you just need to pack the gear to go into the public areas and restaurants, except for areas put aside for those who definitely don’t want to dress up. I sold it to my husband by saying that it’s just a different shirt jacket and trousers which happen to be black and white. He took that on board and then we had a great time but didn’t go on to the balls etc. You don’t have to. Also formal dress these days covers a multitude of sins from designer type dresses to a simple dress skirt and top with accessories to jazz it up. Here we are at the black and white event having a drink before dinner snapped by a companion.

03047570-EC65-4802-9207-E0334430C621.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, Slugsta said:

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you enjoyed your first cruise - when is the next one? 🙂

I hope we can go next May and looking forward to it. If I could squeeze another one in I would!