Uber

Weetahbugdotcom

I saw a post which indicated that they are now in Juneau, but as of August 2017, there weren't many drivers!

There are a couple of shuttle buses that apparently go to Mendenhall from the tram station in Juneau. If I go, I'll probably take one of those (Blue bus and White bus - believe each is $45 roundtrip, including admission).

Isn't Totem Bight outside Ketchikan? If so, there's a public bus to Totem, but only once an hour each way. One person commented, however, that an hour was enough, so the bus worked out well. It didn't make a lot of stops and the price was right.

When we were there in September, we had no problem using Uber/Lyft to get a ride around Juneau. I'm really glad it's up in Alaska. I was getting tired of all the cabs trying to scam tourists.

Do you remember about how much it was? There are 4 of us adults and I rented a car through avis for $75 since that seemed the cheapest option instead of $45/pp via bus. But I would do Uber if it was decently priced?!

You mean those cars moonlighting as taxis with no ins to convey passengers? God forbid you were ever in an accident in one of those. The insurance company will void the ins in a second. Try making a claim. Remember every cent you spend in Alaska in an Alaskan business stays in Alaska. In those other things as you close the door 30% vanishes to a bank in San Francisco.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mean those cars moonlighting as taxis with no ins to convey passengers? God forbid you were ever in an accident in one of those. The insurance company will void the ins in a second. Try making a claim. Remember every cent you spend in Alaska in an Alaskan business stays in Alaska. In those other things as you close the door 30% vanishes to a bank in San Francisco.

Are you talking about Uber / Lyft? They both have liability insurance for passengers. I have used them dozens of times while traveling with no issues. I know the price up front and it has always been substantially cheaper than a taxi.

As far as who gets the money, why would anyone care? I am more concerned about the cost to me than who might get a cut of a cab fare (or anything else). Unless someone is a taxi owner who is losing business to Uber / Lyft, I can’t imagine a lot of people are worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.

insurance for a rider is not an issue with uber/Lyft. You are covered. As a driver for Lyft/uber, you might be SOL with your own insurance if you don’t report that you are driving for them, but as a passenger you are fine. Alaska is getting plenty of my money, and the drivers live in alaska, so I am not losing any sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I was. I’ll not argue with some of you. I was almost killed by one the day before thanksgiving. He was playing with the buttons on his giant tablet in his window. The police were right there and saw the whole thing. The driver was given 5 tickets. Running a red light, distracted driving, obstructed windshield, reckless driving and at my insistence a criminal reckless driving ticket in lieu of having him arrested.

I had friends killed by them. I’ve had friends maimed for life by them. Maybe you feel comfortable with someone driving not knowing where they are going watching a screen rather then the road.

If you operate a car and are conveying people for money you must have ins for that. Your ins goes up from $1000 a year to $6000 a year. No one can afford that. So they don’t tell them. These companies don’t check.

Hey, do what you want. But understand what happens if something goes wrong.

And yes, I do care where the money goes.

With all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.

insurance for a rider is not an issue with uber/Lyft. You are covered. As a driver for Lyft/uber, you might be SOL with your own insurance if you don’t report that you are driving for them, but as a passenger you are fine. Alaska is getting plenty of my money, and the drivers live in alaska, so I am not losing any sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect you know nothing about that. All the drivers are independent. They “work” for all the companies. But they don’t. Those companies have nothing to do with the ride. They are nothing more then a broker putting together some who wants to go somewhere with someone who will take them. If you believe the

At those companies will cover you in a horrible accident you have some interesting learning to do. And I hope it never happens.

Next time your in nyc let me know. I’ll show you the ubervilles in Manhattan. Where the drivers sleep in their cars. There is one 30 blocks from me.

Everyone has different experiences, but I will take my chances with Uber / Lyft any day based on my experiences with cab drivers over the years. The Uber / Lyft drivers I have had have seemed to know where they were going and that hasn’t always been the case with cab drivers. Plus the fares are much less (usually 1/2) of the cab fares.

When we were there in September, we had no problem using Uber/Lyft to get a ride around Juneau. I'm really glad it's up in Alaska. I was getting tired of all the cabs trying to scam tourists.

I'd love to hear your experience/approximate cost.

I've also heard the cabs and shuttles are allowed to go INTO mendenhall glacier national park area to get you to the visitor center, but lyf and uber have to drop you off at the very entrance of the park, almost a mile walk from the visitor center. If anyone can confirm or deny this that would be awesome.