Anything special about member cruises?

Well, I've read the site and the magazine many times and I still wonder the same thing as BargainShopper, so maybe somebody might respond with an actual response? I'm sorry, but dance classes, scrapbooking classes, and beaded jewelry making classes don't make a cruise "extra special" to me. Maybe more specific questions might help.... like how much savings are they talking about? I can't seem to find anything about what the savings would be. Also, in the articles it talks about excursions that the diamond members take.... are those included in the cruise or are the like any other excursion that you pay for? If you've been on one or more of these cruises and can articulate the true differences and the actual savings between them any any other cruise, please let us know.

Thanks!

We have been on several and they are a bit special with some added activities, daily gifts, etc. Don't expect lower pricing....they are usually priced a tad higher. Most of the cruisers will be repeaters. There is usually a complimentary excursion for Diamond members (and above), sometimes a brunch....it varies from cruise to cruise.

OK, I can answer this one, as our Panama Canal cruise, October 17-29 2005, San Diego, to San Juan was just such a cruise. Although I had no idea what or that I had even booked a Member's cruise when I booked it. I found that out after I made the deposit, as I booked it because of the itinerary and it was the only ship at the time that had open cabins to book.

Actually there was no saving per se, as we paid just regular price, with a coupon discount. I don't know that Member cruises do have any special discounts. What we did get was a present, if you will, in our room just about every day, such as special logo pens, a little kit that included sun tan lotion, bug spray and lip balm, and the best one was on the last night we each (hubby and I) received a Logo watch!

Now, mind you we are Diamond members, but I think these little gifts were for everyone not just Diamond members, but I can't be certain.

As for the excursion for Diamond crown and Anchor members, ours was a catamaran night/dinner cruise to see the cliff diver's while we were in Acapulco. And yes it was "free" to Diamond members. However this turned out to be a nightmare, because it was a new tour, the catamaran was bouncing all over the place, people got seasick, including myself and I've never been seasick since I used to sail in my Dad's fishing boat.

However I have to add, that when the Crown and Anchor representive onboard heard about this, she immediately went into action, and everyone on the excursion got a $50 PP shipboard credit, which appeared within a day on our account. Not only that, but the folks who had paid the ungodly rate of $96 for this excursion, as it was listed on the RCL excursions, got their money refunded and even the Diamond members that didn't go got the shipboard credit. Now that to me is customer service. When I spoke with the rep the next morning and she told me about this, she said that they did it because they ruined our night in Acapulco.

Now, I don't know if they have a represenative on every Member's cruise, however I suspect they do, but our rep. was the sweetest young lady and very personable. When she left the ship in Puerto Rico passing through the lobby several folks waved to her.

I didn't know beforehand what to expect on this Member's cruise, but let me tell you if the opportunity ever comes up again, where we are in a position to book one, we will. It was a special cruise.

Archived