What are my odds? Getting to see Grand Cayman

shipper50

We've been scheduled to visit four times, twice in February, twice in July. We missed it one July due to an approaching hurricane. Since we knew the day before that we wouldn't make it, the captain was able to arrive in Cozumel ahead of schedule and we were in port overnight.

Please explain what is the issue with GC and using the tenders?
Since I am the OP, I have read many reviews of Grand Cayman having rough water and wind where the tenders cant get people to shore and then GC is canceled for everyone. Hope that clears it up for ya.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you because sea and wind conditions vary so much from day to day. That being said, I have made it to Grand Cayman every time so far. What surprised me more was missing Grand Turk which I had no idea was a common occurrence until it happened to us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guess I was lucky. I was in Grand Cayman last week on Vista. Didn't know sometimes it was canceled. Beautiful place. Our captain on the boat to Stingray City said that all cruise ships have to tender because there is no docking ports because its too shallow and protected waters.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you because sea and wind conditions vary so much from day to day. That being said, I have made it to Grand Cayman every time so far. What surprised me more was missing Grand Turk which I had no idea was a common occurrence until it happened to us.

And... even if you do make it to Grand Cayman, your excursion may be canceled. Just because it's not rough enough to prevent tendering, doesn't mean it's not rough enough to prevent your excursion, depending on what it is. I'm 2 for 2 in getting onto Grand Cayman, and in both cases my snorkel excursion got canceled due to it being too rough to snorkel.

As for Grand Turk -- I'm 0 for 3 on landing there. I have another Grand Turk stop on my next cruise -- hoping to finally succeed in landing there. ;p

And to the original question... I've heard of a few cases where a non-Carnival excursion did NOT refund due to the ship not being able to make the port, so YMMV. I'd ask the excursion operator what their policy in that case is before booking.