Wine Card

AlibearNS

Thank you for the post. My cruise is next year so closer to the date, I will definitely do my searches for the package offered at the time. This thread has been helpful.

When available, our waitstaff happily sells us a wine package. We purchase it on our first evening but it might be possible to buy it later. Our waitstaff will serve our wine so we purchase it from them because it benefits them to get things such as extra time off while in port.

CC participant Steelers36 has created a helpful wine price spreadsheet comparing purchasing onboard vs. onshore.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

We have bought the wine package on every princess cruise we have done, it's true it's only 10 days or over but when we did a b2b(21days) we bought the card before the first cruise finished so 2x12 bottles and it was carried over for us. You just need to ask at your first meal

Before purchasing a wine package on B2B 14 & 17 day cruises we had our waiter confirm that we could use the wine package on both segments.

This was posted on another thread:

"Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit."

Thank you for posting this, ShirazCruiser--especially, for your final paragraph. I've wondered how they handle wines priced over the clip level for the different packages.

Based on this information, to my way of thinking, the best bang for your buck is to buy nothing but wines over the clip level. Suppose I buy the $10 Gold package. If I order 10 bottles of wine that each cost more than $45, I will have saved $160-- $450 savings (10 X $45 savings per bottle) on a $290 investment.

:D

Thank you for posting this, ShirazCruiser--especially, for your final paragraph. I've wondered how they handle wines priced over the clip level for the different packages.

Based on this information, to my way of thinking, the best bang for your buck is to buy nothing but wines over the clip level. Suppose I buy the $10 Gold package. If I order 10 bottles of wine that each cost more than $45, I will have saved $160-- $450 savings (10 X $45 savings per bottle) on a $290 investment.

:D

I originally posted that information & have a couple of other experiences that could be helpful.

We get wine as close to the $45 limit as possible or pay the additional cost when over the limit. The increased $1 to $5 per bottle cost on the recent wine list update made some bottles more than we wanted to pay. Sometimes they add 15% to the additional cost, sometimes not.

Also check your onboard folio because sometimes they make mistakes. Near the end of the cruise they didn’t give me the $45 credit for a bottle exceeding the limit. That required going to the PSD for them to research before issuing the $45 credit.

I don’t have my recent folio with me but as I recall bottles under the limit may not be displayed on your folio. I’ve never lost my wine card so be careful because I don’t know if they would track your folio for usage or you would lose the remaining bottles.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This was posted on another thread:

"Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit."

Yeup! That is exactly what is was on the Star out of LA this last November to Hawaii and the Grand out of SF to Alaska last August. I had to hunt it down by asking a few people on the Grand, but when we were on the Star, on embarkation day, the employees were walking around with a flyer and asking people to buy it. Its worth it and both times the wines were pretty darn good.