phone from ship

uncalculated

We are going on the Soverign of the Seas in March and I know my cell phone will not work from the ship, but I run a company and need to check in once per day. Is there anywhere on the ship that has phones to use? What are the charges typically? I figure when we go to the Nassau I can use a phone card, but am wondering what to do from the boat. thanks

The in cabin phone can call anywhere in the world, but it's expensive. Depending on the ship and location, charges run anywhere from $9.50 to $11 a minute. Can you keep in touch via email? Do you have a Blackberry? Those are better, and cheaper ways to keep in touch. I use my Blackberry to email and call, they can be used internationally, and the average cost when calling from the Caribbean is $1.29 to $1.49 a minute. You might also want to check if your ship is one of those from RCCI that has cell phone capability even when at sea. You have to have a GSM equipped phone to use their satellite, but it is a LITTLE cheaper than using the ship's phone. When I used my Verizon phone on the ship, the charge was $6.95 a minute.

what about the internet cafe? We had business to take care of while on a cruise and used e-mail and instant messenger. Our kids ended up talking live with their friends, too, while we were out to sea. It was pretty neat, and really efficient.

UN-we own a retail business. We usually don't call our business when we are on vacation-thanks to our wonderful employees we don't have to.

We go on land based vacations to Nassau/Freeport once a year and I do call home to check on my doggies (I know I know)-and my cell phone will work from the Bahamas.

I am a Realtor and had to get in touch with my seller. Know my cell worked in either Freeport or Nassau. Think it was Nassau but know it worked in one port and not other. Try your cell on deck before calling from port. It may depend on your carrier. I had Altell at the time. You will find pay phones at each port though -usually with crew members calling home.

Archived