Car rental at Crown Bay

Jzx1103

We will be visiting St Thomas via Cruise Ship on Feb 26th. I was told the Jewel of the Seas dock at Crown Bay. We're thinking about renting a car and explore on our own. is there a car rental place in the area? Also do you have to book the rental car ahead of time or are there plenty of vehicles for you to just walk in and book the day of?

There are several car rental agencies a short walk from the Crown Bay dock, but no recognizable names. I think the closest one is in the Mazda dealership across from Pueblo Supermarket. They have a website, and I posted the link in a previous thread somewhere, but don't have the info now. Maybe I'll find it later.

Many agencies on St Thomas will deliver the car to you if you deserve in advance. Saves time.

• 2 months later...

I arrived at Crown Bay and rented from Budget (Contant location). I called as I exited the ship and they had a minivan come pick us up at the parking lot near the easily-recognizable windmill in the port complex about 15 minutes later. The Budget location is within a five minute drive from Crown Bay.

I received the most terrible beater of a Hyundai sedan with high mileage that did even not have a full tank of gas. There was no corner or panel on the vehicle that WASN'T damaged. The front fender made a rubbing noise. The interior was comfortable and the air conditioning worked well.

The roads in St. Thomas are confusing. I recommend a GPS or Google Maps (offline or live) for navigation.

There is a gas station just down the block from the Budget location with both self-serve and full-serve options to fuel up before returning the vehicle.

Note that the rental location locks its gates promptly at 5:00pm. There is a sign outside the fence that says that abandoned vehicles will be fined a minimum of $1,000. Be sure not to return late.

The manager didn't even look at the vehicle after I returned it! After returning the vehicle, I waited about 10 minutes for an employee to drive me back to Crown Bay.

Hope this helps!