Taormina, Sicily

muddsmom

Has anyone visited this port? I believe I've posted previously a long time ago about Taormina, but can't seem to find it. Is this a port we can do on our own or do you recommend a guide? I'm starting to firm up our plans for our September 26, 2006 Istanbul to Venice cruise on the Nautica and we are hoping this is a stop where we can wander on our own.

Sharon

Has anyone visited this port? I believe I've posted previously a long time ago about Taormina, but can't seem to find it. Is this a port we can do on our own or do you recommend a guide? I'm starting to firm up our plans for our September 26, 2006 Istanbul to Venice cruise on the Nautica and we are hoping this is a stop where we can wander on our own.

Sharon

This is a spot that you can wander on your own, once you get there.. and you will need a car to do that. You can hire a taxi at the port for a tour, they will give you the rate up front. Then they can drop you off there and wait for you to take you wherever you want to go after.

When we went, ship had a free shuttle to town, no need for car or taxi. We used ships excursion that combined Taormina with Mt Etna. Really recommend you try to fit both in; probably easier with either ship's tour or private tour than driving on your own.

Marc

Toured Taormina about 5 years ago; the Roman stadium is decent but not extraordinary, good views from there; the town itself is farily typical tourist port; we bought lemoncello and marzipan; there was a restaurant (quite good) down a flight of stairs in a shaded area, can't recall the name, but the cruise director or knowledgeable crew might be able to help on this. Cabs to and from the town are not difficult or expensive.

We did b2b cruises with Radisson two years ago in the Med, and this was one of our stops. We absolutely fell in love with this wonderful city. We took a tour off the ship that went to the stadium, and had a wonderfully knowledgable guide tell us all about it and the history. While we sat listening, we could hear Etna exploding in the background. I have videos of the sights and the sound! Then we walked down the hillside, climbed down many steps and had wonderful pizza at a roadside cafe. The ambiance of this place can't be explained...it was magical. When we go back to Italy, this is one place we will revisit.

Archived