Seabourn Eastern Caribbean cruise - Guadeloupe port?

lynn-in-nc

Hello - we will be on the March 3 sailing of the Odyssey and I am trying to plan our port days. The port for the Guadeloupe day says "Basse Terre," but the main cruise terminal is at Pointe de Pitre. Does anyone know where the ship actually docks that day?

Thanks in advance! I've browsed these forums for years but first time posting.

I did that cruise last April and the port on the itinerary was Deshaies, which we were really looking forward to. However, the ship actually docked in Point a Pitre (not sure why the change as no explanation was given). This was a dock instead of a tender so maybe that is why. Deshaies is a very pretty town with great beaches. Point a Pitre (and St. Anne) - not so much! You can get to Deshaies by taxi quite easily though (40 minute ride).

In November the ship docked at Basse-Terre. We did the ship tour of Historic Basse-Terre and we walked to Our Lady of Guadeloupe Church, down Nolivos Street, to the indoor market and then bussed to the Bologne Distillery (rum). This was my favorite port. The people were very welcoming (although few speak English).

They had music and traditional dancing on the dock as we left the port. Guadeloupe was my favorite on this itinerary.

Thanks so much for your replies. It sounds like maybe they make a decision where to dock when they get there? We did a bus tour to the volcano the last time we were there so I think we will rent a car and tootle around the island. Any suggestions for car rentals?

Thanks so much for your replies. It sounds like maybe they make a decision where to dock when they get there? We did a bus tour to the volcano the last time we were there so I think we will rent a car and tootle around the island. Any suggestions for car rentals?

We hired a great taxi driver for a few hours, although we speak French, Jimmy spoke very good English.

jfausta971@gmail.com Jimmy Fausta

Have a wonderful cruise, Guadaloupe was one of our favourite places.