First cruise booked! NCL Getaway

racetech

First time cruiser here. Booked on the NCL Getaway Dec 29 2019. New years cruise! Long painful wait but it will be worth it. Just wanted to post here and get opinions on the line and the ship, and see what to expect. I have a lot of planning to do. Figuring out what to bring, what to wear, money, etc etc. I booked recently and got the NCL sale they had going, $50 booking fee, $100 on board credit, $50 at each port, free drink package with alcohol, seemed like a great deal so I booked for me and my gf with another couple who has cruised before, but not with NCL. So looking forward to a needed vacation!

First time cruiser here. Booked on the NCL Getaway Dec 29 2019. New years cruise! Long painful wait but it will be worth it. Just wanted to post here and get opinions on the line and the ship, and see what to expect. I have a lot of planning to do. Figuring out what to bring, what to wear, money, etc etc. I booked recently and got the NCL sale they had going, $50 booking fee, $100 on board credit, $50 at each port, free drink package with alcohol, seemed like a great deal so I booked for me and my gf with another couple who has cruised before, but not with NCL. So looking forward to a needed vacation!

I became hooked on cruising with my very first one and now it is my preferred way to vacation :) I have a 5 cruises under my belt, but I have never been on this ship yet. We sail on her over Thanksgiving this year. Hopefully I'll post a review and let you know how I like it.

I highly recommend you peruse this web site and gather all the information that is offered and ask many questions. I always read many, many reviews before I sail a new ship so I know what to expect. Keep in mind, there will be lovers, haters, and some in between--I just try to gather information so I'm not surprised. There will also be snarky comments--just ignore them.

Maybe in about a year (since you have almost 2 years until you sail), make sure you join the roll call for your sailing. I always enjoy chatting with the people I will be cruising with. One of the more experienced will probably take on the lead and organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle so you can meet these people face to face.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! This website was so helpful when I planned my first cruise. I leave in 5 days for my second cruise and Cruise Critic has been invaluable in helping me plan for it as well. Happy Cruising!

Getaway was my first cruise, and what got me hooked on cruising! You’ll love it.

This ship is really fun, lots of great activities onboard. I enjoyed their live musical performances and entertainment. Food is out of this world. Moderno, the Brazilian steak house, was my absolute favourite. Water slides were thrilling! I also liked them showing movies in the Atrium.

My favourite space onboard was Spice H2O, which is an adults only outdoor space with hot tubs. It becomes a dance space on certain nights. Their Waterfront feature on the ship is one of the best features onboard. Some comfortable spaces for reading, napping, people watching.

NCL doesn’t have formal nights for dinners or a dress code per se, however I’d recommend bringing a couple of nicer outfits for specialty dinners. They also have a white party, which is a dance party where everyone wears white clothes. It’s really fun!

I found the beds really comfortable, and balcony space wasn’t huge but worth it.

I find NCL has a lot less inclusions compared to other cruise lines in terms of what they offer onboard (gelato, fancier coffee, etc.) so be prepared to spend a little extra, even with a drink or dining package.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be prepared to spend a little extra here and there that isnt a problem. I have been watching youtube about the ship and all its offerings. And have been researching here and google for other information. It looks like a great time! My cruise is 7 day. Cozumel, Costa Maya, Harvest Caye and Rotan Honduras.

Deb I look forward to your review of the Getaway!

Getaway was my first cruise, and what got me hooked on cruising! You’ll love it.

This ship is really fun, lots of great activities onboard. I enjoyed their live musical performances and entertainment. Food is out of this world. Moderno, the Brazilian steak house, was my absolute favourite. Water slides were thrilling! I also liked them showing movies in the Atrium.

My favourite space onboard was Spice H2O, which is an adults only outdoor space with hot tubs. It becomes a dance space on certain nights. Their Waterfront feature on the ship is one of the best features onboard. Some comfortable spaces for reading, napping, people watching.

NCL doesn’t have formal nights for dinners or a dress code per se, however I’d recommend bringing a couple of nicer outfits for specialty dinners. They also have a white party, which is a dance party where everyone wears white clothes. It’s really fun!

I found the beds really comfortable, and balcony space wasn’t huge but worth it.

I find NCL has a lot less inclusions compared to other cruise lines in terms of what they offer onboard (gelato, fancier coffee, etc.) so be prepared to spend a little extra, even with a drink or dining package.

Enjoy it!

Thank you for the info! Can I ask what kind of footwear they allow in the pool or on the water slides if any? Just something that popped in my head thinking about what to bring lol

A few items I bring every cruise:

- bug spray (for when I am off the ship)

- sea sickness meds (just in case....but I have never needed them yet)

- night light (for finding my way to the bathroom at night)

- highlighters (for marking up my daily planners)

- towel clips to hold the towels on pool chairs (it can windy up there sometimes)

- lanyard for my cruise card (they will punch a hole in the card at guest services)