Tipping

mdenis

Help. We are sailing Noordham to Alaska in July. This is only our second cruise, so not very knowledgeable! Our previous cruise was RCL and we were able to prepay gratuities. Is this an option on HAL? I really like the idea of having it taken care of. I understand the option of additional tipping, and am prepared to do so. I just like not having to worry about the necessary, minimal tipping. Also, if prepay is an option, who does that cover and who do I still need to tip? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Help. We are sailing Noordham to Alaska in July. This is only our second cruise, so not very knowledgeable! Our previous cruise was RCL and we were able to prepay gratuities. Is this an option on HAL? I really like the idea of having it taken care of. I understand the option of additional tipping, and am prepared to do so. I just like not having to worry about the necessary, minimal tipping. Also, if prepay is an option, who does that cover and who do I still need to tip? Thanks!

Technically, there is no way to prepay the HSC (Hotel Service Charge aka - tipping).

But, what you can do is buy some OBC (on board credit) in advance on the HAL site so that you have enough purchased to cover the HSC - so, in essence, prepay it.

The HSC covers everyone on board that takes care of you. From your stewards, waiters, workers, etc.

I don't believe it covers Club HAL (the children's club) so tipping is appropriate there.

Of course you can tip over and above. The HSC is charged to your account each day. If it is left in place, anything you choose to give in cash over and above it to whomever you choose to give it to is theirs to keep.

Hope this helps.

Technically, there is no way to prepay the HSC (Hotel Service Charge aka - tipping).

But, what you can do is buy some OBC (on board credit) in advance on the HAL site so that you have enough purchased to cover the HSC - so, in essence, prepay it.

The HSC covers everyone on board that takes care of you. From your stewards, waiters, workers, etc.

I don't believe it covers Club HAL (the children's club) so tipping is appropriate there.

Of course you can tip over and above. The HSC is charged to your account each day. If it is left in place, anything you choose to give in cash over and above it to whomever you choose to give it to is theirs to keep.

Hope this helps.

So if I’m reading this correctly (and thanks for the response), I’ll be charged for tipping on my account? That’s fine, I don’t mind that. I just want to avoid having to run around with a bunch of envelopes with tips for everyone the last day of the cruise!

So if I’m reading this correctly (and thanks for the response), I’ll be charged for tipping on my account? That’s fine, I don’t mind that. I just want to avoid having to run around with a bunch of envelopes with tips for everyone the last day of the cruise!

You've got it. :D No need to run around with envelopes on the last day UNLESS you want to tip extra ;)

HSC charge IIRC is around $13.50 pp per day for every cabin except suites. Suites are $15.00 pp per day. It's charged each day to your on board account.

You can prepay the DSC/tip with HAL. I've done it. You call HAL directly or thru your TA to prepay. You can't prepauy on line like other cruise lines.