Fresh off Fantasy w/ Star Wars Day, Some Comparisons with RCCL

coldflame

I was on the Fantasy w/o Feb 3, 2018. My thoughts, as related to this thread:

* Yes, Star Wars day was meh. Kids and I are big fans, but the day felt amateurish. You also have to reserve photo ops well in advance, and still have to line up for about 20 minutes each. Fun to be on a ship with everyone dressed up, but generally underwhelming

* DCL service was so good, it got annoying. It really depends on what you consider "good" service. Some people want their waiter to be their best friend and a part of the dining experience. Sometimes, you'd rather they were more or less invisible and just left you alone. I'm here to spend time with my family, not the wait staff. And on the last day everyone is practically begging you to give them good reviews in the comment cards, reminding you over and over again. Don't get me wrong, they did go above and beyond, especially with accommodating picky eaters, but there were a few times it was just a bit too much, at least for me.

* DCL has great adult nightlife facilities that generally go wasted. With the exception of the 10:30pm variety show act, the bars are generally empty. I get it, spending all that time with your kids will wipe you out, and even though you can leave you kids at the kids' club until midnight while you have some quality grown-up time... no one does. So if you are looking for some nightlife, I think you'll have better luck on RCCL. 15 years ago, the rumor was that swinger couples would meet up at the hot tubs at 2am on RCCL. Whoo hoo! I can't see that happening on DCL.

* I enjoyed the nightly shows on DCL, even if they were geared for the kids. My kids loved them, and it was a great way for me to introduce live musical theatre to them. But if I weren't with the kids, I would be looking for something better

* Also in terms of entertainment, there was a musical couple (piano and guitar) on the Fantasy who played in the atrium before dinner some nights, and in one of the bars in the evening who were just awful. It was like a SNL sketch. Such a cliched lounge musician experience, and not up to the standard of the other acts who were much better (violin player was epic! Trumpet and clarinet/sax duo was also up to scratch).

*Volume of movies and music on the Fantasy Lido deck was way too loud. So loud that on the Bon Voyage party on the first afternoon, my kids melted down and cried with sensory overload. Not how I wanted to start the vacation. Over-powering the sound of kids playing in pools does not make it any better. Do not try to get in to a match of volume with a few hundred kids. You'll just annoy the adults even more, and upset a few kids along the way.

Personally, I'm satisfied with my family vacation on DCL, but for the money, I think I can have as good or better a time on another line like RCCL.

Does the Fantasy do anything special for DVC members? We just joined, we aren't using our points on our 3/17 SWDAS cruise, but it would be nice to see if they reward the "loyalty" of joining DVC. Thanks in advance.

There is a "member celebration" where you get free alcohol, munchies, and they give away a lot of DVC swag. They usually put a magnet on your door, and on the specialty cruises there is a DVC gift. These things are for all members, not just those booked on points. In addition, they usually have small "give aways" at the desk. If you are a new member, stop by the DVC desk and be sure you are on the list for the invitations and goodies.

You are also welcome to attend the sales pitches and try to win the door prize there.