This maybe a dumb question but...

We always make our reservations with cruiseline air and then watch and compare the major airlines fares to what the cruiseline is offering and who ever is cheaper wins. You can always cancel your with the cruiseline for no fee or penalty up until final payment.

Out of all my cruises I have used the cruiseline airfare once. Most of the time you are better getting it on your own for a couple of reasons. One is it's usually cheaper and two you can set your own schedule, where the cruiseline puts you on what ever they get the cheapest.

I guess it depends. We were in Hawaii this spring. Our airfare through the cruise line would have been $750.00 per person, with one stop, a three hour lay-over in LAX. We booked direct through the airline, and got a non-stop for $550.00, thus saving $200.00 per person, and not having to change planes. The advantage of booking through the cruise line is, they will meet you at the airport, and arrange for your transportation to the ship. Also, if your plane happens to be delayed, they will hold the ship for you. If you book on your own, you ARE ON YOUR OWN. So, it just depends on the situation.

200601291500_13.gif

Thanks everyone..We usually look for seat sales to come on but so far they are really few and far between.We will be staying at a freinds house that lives in NY and then travelling and boarding with them.Should we book the day of the cruise instead? or should we stay with coming to NY the day before?

We had great luck going to the MR last year.My DB works for a major air line and booked us a a flight that got into San Diego about 2 hrs before the ship started to board.we then bought tickets on the Carnival shuttle to the pier and away we went.( next time we will take a cab,the port is cheaper by cab then to pay for the Carnival shuttle).

What do you think?

It is always cheaper to book on your own than through the cruise line. Another advantage is that you get to pick your flight times. On our very first cruise we booked through the cruise line and had such a late flight and was on the ship only a half hour before it sailed. Now we book on our own and get on the ship early in the morning when they start letting passengers on.

The consensus seems to be that you're better off making your own air arrangements. However, if that's what you decide to do, my advice is to fly to the embarkation city a day or two before the cruise. I realize that sometimes that's a tough thing to do, but it's worth it. If your flight is delayed or cancelled for any reason, you have a little time to change things.

If your luggage is delayed, you won't have to sail without it (I've seen many of that situation). :eek: And of course, you can usually get a better price on your flight than you get from the cruise line. ;)

I would never book a flight the day of the cruise. Even if the weather is perfect, there is always a possibility of other delays due to mechanical failure, strikes, etc. We always book through the airlines and do it online. Many of them offer cheaper rates to those who book online rather than calling. Also, you are not at the mercy of the cruiseline when you book on your own. They usually pick the cheapest flights, you arrive the day of the cruise and if you're late, you hold up the entire ship. All this IF you have no other unforeseen problems. People have been known to miss the ship before even when booking through the cruiseline.

We always book our own flights, and have never even been close to the cruise cost of the flights... We either leave the night before or VERY early in the morning of the cruise.. that way if there are any delays we will be fine.

When we get to the airport, we pass all the sign holders for the cruise ship busses, and we get a taxi and end up beating the crowds by an hour at least..

It is always cheaper to book on your own than through the cruise line. Another advantage is that you get to pick your flight times. On our very first cruise we booked through the cruise line and had such a late flight and was on the ship only a half hour before it sailed. Now we book on our own and get on the ship early in the morning when they start letting passengers on.

This is something which is repeated on these boards quite frequently. Unfortunately, as is usually the case with such absolute statements, it is not always true. Sometimes the cruiselines can offer airfare that is better than what you can book on your own and with the cruiseline's customair package you can still pick your flight times. If you are sailing from one port and returning from another (an open-jaw itinerary) it may pay to book through the cruiseline. Also,on occasion if you are cruising during a school vacation, the cruiseline may have lower fares or may have charter space - just try booking airfare for next February's school vacation period, and see what the prices and availability are.

The best answer to your question is to check all your options before deciding. If you can book your own airfare for a price that, when you add in transportation between the airport and the pier, is cheaper than what the cruiseline is offering, book it and use the savings to pay for your tips or a port excursion etc. If, however, the cruiseline's price is a bargain and you can pick the air carrier and flight that best fits your schedule, that is the way to go. Once you know all of your options, the right decision will usually be obvious. Good luck and bon voyage.:)

Atlanta is not known for great air bargains. Right now RCL cost which includes transfers is less than the other sites air only for Atl-Vancouver. What's tearing me up is their pre-cruise nite hotel rate @ $129/pp. I'm thinking of Priceline for hotel but then I saw cab fare airport-downtown can be $50, maybe $10 hotel-ship. Takes some real figuring to get the best deal! I think I read airfare will be better 60 days out. Has anyone from Atl. area used RCL flights and are they really bad schedules, either red eyes or big layovers that end up being 11-12 hr days? Custom-air adding another $100 seems to defeat the purpose. Any advice or personal experience from Atl.? [Have seen Clark Howard fares of less than $300 but never available when I check it out.]

For us the cruise line fare is most often the lowest rate because we do not live close to any hub....

Me too. The only time I've found cheaper was for my Rhapsody cruise last week when I found cheap tickets on Southwest. Funnily enough though you can't fly from my area to Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest so that doesn't help me for cruises out of Florida.

There is one other thing to consider when booking air on you own vs through the cruise line.

On our Oct. 15th med cruise, the ship was delayed getting back into port causing most of the passengers to miss their flights. If you were a cruise only passenger, meaning you booked your flight on your own, you were literally on your own. If you booked your flight through RCI they had hotel rooms and did the work of booking the flights home.

It did not go perfectly for either group but in the end, the cruise/air passengers could let RCI do all the work while the cruise only passengers had to make phone calls, pay additional fee's to get home and file insurance claims to get some or all of their money back.

Always check the prices offered by the cruise line but keep in mind, if you book on your own and anything goes wrong, it can get real expensive real fast. In our case, $1,400 additional for airfare home, $185 for a hotel room and $70 in cab fares. I should get most of this back but, I'm having to wait for my money. The cruise/air passengers have been taken care of and don't hvae any worries now.

I think the best way to answer that question is whether you live in a city that has an Airline hub or one close to you. Non-stop flights are a good thing before and after a Cruise. We have booked our own flights because Continental Airlines is our local hub and it sometimes is a lot cheaper.

Wow thanks everyone for your replies so far.I did not expect to get that kind of a response to a question that is probably asked ten thousand times on these boards.

I did check through RCCL and it is about 1009 p/p for the air alone and the prices of the cruise is around 1450p/p right now( I hope it drops).But I was wondering if maybe I should wait till I see some seat sales and book that way.

On most of the ohter cruises we went on we either got a flight( on soe good luck) that landed the morning of the cruise,or we stayed the night in a hotel.

Anymore info would still be appreciated.

Thanks so much,oh by the way it may help to say that we are going on the Explorer of the Seas on July 28/06 Out of Bayonne NJ

I guess it depends. We were in Hawaii this spring. Our airfare through the cruise line would have been $750.00 per person, with one stop, a three hour lay-over in LAX. We booked direct through the airline, and got a non-stop for $550.00, thus saving $200.00 per person, and not having to change planes. The advantage of booking through the cruise line is, they will meet you at the airport, and arrange for your transportation to the ship. Also, if your plane happens to be delayed, they will hold the ship for you. If you book on your own, you ARE ON YOUR OWN. So, it just depends on the situation.

200601291500_13.gif

There are a couple of comments in this quote that I have to disagree with. The ship will not necessarily wait for you if your plane is late. The only time the ship will delay departure is if the delay is brief and there are a number of flight/cruise pax. The cruise line will assist getting you to the next port of call, but really they aren't much help at all. It's really better to fly in in advance (the day before) and arm yourselves with trip insurance and have your cell phone with airline phone #s and take care of yourself. You can usually grab a taxi quicker and cheaper than cruise line transfers. The credit card we use to book flights has automatic insurance to cover these types of instances.

We've learned the hard way, like so many others on these boards, that you have to shop around. There are times when the cruise air is cheaper, but for the most part, you're better off on your own. Not only for air fare, but transfers, hotels, insurance etc... Having control over your own destiny and choice is far preferrable. On our next cruise with a one way flight and one hotel night, we are saving over $250 by doing our own booking, rather than taking what the cruise line is offering. I don't care to line the cruise lines pockets for doing something I can do for myself in just a few minutes time.

Wow thanks everyone for your replies so far.I did not expect to get that kind of a response to a question that is probably asked ten thousand times on these boards.

I did check through RCCL and it is about 1009 p/p for the air alone and the prices of the cruise is around 1450p/p right now( I hope it drops).But I was wondering if maybe I should wait till I see some seat sales and book that way.

On most of the ohter cruises we went on we either got a flight( on soe good luck) that landed the morning of the cruise,or we stayed the night in a hotel.

Anymore info would still be appreciated.

Thanks so much,oh by the way it may help to say that we are going on the Explorer of the Seas on July 28/06 Out of Bayonne NJ

What you can do is book cruise air now and continue searching for less expensive flights. All you need to do is cancel the cruise air BEFORE final payment if you decide to book flights on your own. If you never find independent flights for less, then keep the cruise air and pay the custom air fee to choose your own flights.

Archived