Cant find good air, do i change from sun to dawn?

rontron

Hi . My family of four (kids ages 10 and 8) is currently booked on the 4/8 sailing of the Sun out of Miami We got a good price on a BB cabin. The only problem is that I cant find any air under $300 a person. For about the same price i could drive to NYC and sail on the Dawn and have a ten day cruise rather than a seven day. I do have to give up the balcony since those are currently sold out on the Dawn and i would go from a Western to an Eastern itinerary. Can anyone offer some thoughts to help with my decision.

thanks

Ron

Delta will take you roundtrip from NYC LGA to Ft. Lauderdale FLL for $273 on Sunday April 8, 2006, return April 15.

Delta will take you roundtrip from NYC LGA to Miami for $221 on Sunday April 8, 2006, return April 15.

Check with travelocity.com for cheap fare prices.

If it were up to me the NewYork cruise would would win. I'd gladly give up a balcony for an extra 3 days on a ship. You didn't mention where you would be flying from but at times Southwest has great deals. You have to try a few different combinations of dates and such but between them and AirTran I have found some steals. We cruised out of Fll back in January and flew from Indy to Orlando on Southwest for about $123 RT each and then after we spent a few pre-cruise days there and took the kids to Disney we got a one way rental through Dollar rent a car for $38.00 and dropped it off at the FLL airport and their shuttle dropped us at the cruise port.

I recently cancelled a cruise that was leaving from FLL in March and opted for the NCL Spirit from NY since I was able to get airfare from Chicago to Islip for $80 RT and we're going to take the Long Island Railroad into the city. I cannot wait to see that ship it looks so cool!

I had already bought air for the cancelled cruise to FLL so I decided to just use those tickets later in the year for a short family get-away. I think I paid $165 RT through Northwest when all the other airlines wanted like $400. So you may want to check them out too. It usually works out to be less expensive if you are flying on a Tuesday or a Thursday. However that may or may no work for you. Hope that helps.

check www.itasoftware.com it will show all the fares for all the new york airports and the south florida ones and seat availabililty as well. Personally I would drive and take the Dawn. You can try upgrading near sailing....you may better off with two guarantee rooms than one 4....

American shows 186 inon stop ncluding all taxes..but the times may be difficult. You may have to fly in Friday...

So the Dawn is really that much better than the Sun? I'm leaving on the Sun in 4 weeks... will I be disappointed? This is my first NCL cruise.

While the Dawn is bigger than the Sun, don't worry! The Sun is also a great ship! We've been on both the Jewel and the Sun in the last year and between the ships, while we might prefer the Jewel, we'd just as happily cruise again on the Sun.

As to the OP I'd compare itineraries. My family much prefers port days and can get somewhat bored with several sea days (especially if they are one after another). You'll have a great cruise either way. When you check prices, also make sure to check comparable cabin categories.

jmo

-Monte

Speaking of cheaper flights into Fort Lauderdale I just had a funny flashback of my cruise out of Miami. My friend is the cheapest sob ever so he had us take the rental car shuttle from the airport to the rental car centre then hopped the free shuttle to the pier. Yes, of course, you are required to be a car rental client, however, it went off flawlessly. They never did ask for a car rental slip--the shuttle driver is more concerned about his tip.

john rs:)

'mo cruiser

CCL triumph sept 2003

Celebrity millenium feb 2004

RCCL Grandeur Sept 2004

NCL Dawn Feb 2/2/2006

Archived