Manatees in Belize?

jbowers06

No one is posting about manatees in belize... is it possible to snorkel with them? How likely is it that you see them?

I'm trying to decide between a snorkeling trip (with the hopes of seeing manatees) or cave tubing and I am having trouble.

How does the snorkeling compare to the Caymen Islands or Bonaire - two of the places I'd say had the best scuba or snorkeling I've done before?

Snorkeling off shore in Belize is excellent. You're on top of one of be largest barrier reefs in the world. There are tours to see the manatees, but you can't touch them. They are in protected sanctuaries and you'll need a guide to reach them. I believe the closest outfit that heads for the manatees is out of Caye Caulker, but they may pick up in Belize City.

Thanks! And we love snorkeling and it seems there is a high chance of even seeing sharks and not that snorkeling isn't absolutely fantastic, but most of us have been countless times and the river/cave tubing seems really interesting. Plus we have a group of 7 that would go on the excursion - tubing might be a better group activity...

Does anyone know if there is alcohol on the tubing trip by chance?