MegaBus vs. Greyhound vs. Peter Pan Bus??

katiemylady

Hi all,

We live in Boston, but are cruising out of Port Authority in April on the Norwegian Gem. We were planning on taking the MegaBus from Boston to NYC (drop off is about a 6 minute drive to the Port, were planning on taking an Uber to Port). Total price for the two of us roundtrip, including extra fee for reserved seats (we want the seats with the table in front) is $44. My boyfriend apparently has been reading reviews on MegaBus being quite cramped on space (he is tall...6'3). I have taken MegaBus before and have never had a problem with leg space but he suggested either Greyhound bus (total of $74 roundtrip) or Peter Pan bus (total of $120 roundtrip). Greyhound drops us off right at Port Authority. Neither of these options offer reserved seating. Has anyone traveled on two of these buses and can give me a comparison? Are the Greyhound or Peter Pan really worth that extra $$$? I personally would rather save that money for an excursion, but if it is going to be significantly more comfortable on GH or PP, I am willing to pay the extra.

I'm a Megabus fan. They are our preferred mode of transportation to NYC. I don't know what people don't like, but we've never had a problem that was their fault (they can't be responsible for the idiot that rolled his car on the Major Deegan)

That said, there are 2 things I'd mention WRTO Megabus and cruising:

They load their return trips across from the Javits center, like at 34th and 11th. That is a bit of a haul from the port, although I don't think it will make the Ubre fare that much higher.

They have a stated limit of 1 bag per person. I'm not sure how rigorously it is applied, but we usually have more than one bag each when we are cruising

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have taken both and I would highly recommend peter pan over all the other choices for a couple reasons. When I have taken greyhound, the buses are no where near the quality of Peter Pan. Greyhound doesn't even have overhead bins that close like a plane. Peter pan has trey tables, much cleaner restrooms, better wifi, cleaner, and it way more like a plane. It is basically an airplane that doesn't fly and has bigger windows. Also I have never been delayed more than 10 minutes on Peter Pan but on greyhound I have been delayed on greyhound for up to hours. Also to mention, maybe it is just bad luck, I have not really found an friendly drivers so far. They seem kind of grumpy and miserable on both. Also you have to put the bag under the bus at peter pan but from what I remember, not on greyhound. Overall, the reason greyhound is cheaper is they have much older buses and make the buses to the bare minimum with options. There is a reason why is is so much cheaper. If you travel to New York, I would say limo liner is the best. It has food, drinks, leather recliner seats, wood everyone, and is way fancier than a regular airplane. It is similar to first class on a flight to los angles from northeast. But besides for that, I would say peter pan outranks greyhound by a mile, and mega bus even more. The only benifit of mega bus is the veiw, cause your higher. Other wise, it is no different than the seats on a city bus you would take to work but facing forward and with reading lights. It is horrible though.