Things to do in Galveston, Texas

Sunmist

We are flying in a day early for our cruise in July and will have the day in Galveston. Any recommendations of things to do, places to eat and drink?

Any suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Black Pearl Oyster Bar was a great place for dinner. Mosquito Cafe great sandwiches and salads and Patty Cakes bakery yummy treats. We love to find new places to eat instead of going to chain restaurants.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

we ate at Millers a few weeks ago-

Portions were huge and reasonable-

I ma pretty sure the cocktail sauce on the shrimp cocktail is the best i have ever had-

I ate the lettuce "filler" like a salad the sauce was so good. Great Bloody Marys as well

Thank you!

Can any of you also recommend a nice hotel close to the port?

Harbor House is about 4 blocks from the terminal. Nice view of ships coming into port from bed (we were in 202). Two blocks from restaurants on Strand, or you can take the trolley down to the seawall and transfer to another trolley that goes from the park at the east end to the water park.

Don't forget La Kings for old fashioned soda fountain (and candy).

There are several mansions to tour, Ocean Star which is on offshore drilling museum several blocks south of port, the strand next to pier has restaurants and shops, A little further away is Schlitterbahn which is a covered water park.

If you have time tour Space Center Houston and NASA which is about 30 minutes north, about halfway between Hobby and Galveston.

Harbor House is about 4 blocks from the terminal. Nice view of ships coming into port from bed (we were in 202). Two blocks from restaurants on Strand, or you can take the trolley down to the seawall and transfer to another trolley that goes from the park at the east end to the water park.

Don't forget La Kings for old fashioned soda fountain (and candy).

We were able to enjoy this hotel on one of our Galveston cruises. Nice breakfast buffet and unbeatable location. However, on our other Galveston cruises, they would not budge from requiring a two night stay on the weekend, so we stayed elsewhere.

Harbor House and Tremont House are the only two hotels close to the cruise terminal. The Tremont House is beautiful. Both hotels are a short stroll to the Strand shops, bars, restaurants, and cruise terminal.

Some of my favorite Strand area bars and restaurants (near cruise terminal):

Bubba's on the Strand and Sharkey's Tavern located a few blocks from the Strand on 25th Street both offer good drinks and live music. Stuttgarden offers German food and a great craft beer selection. Fisherman's Wharf on Harborside Drive has a great Happy Hour food/drink menu served only at the bar Mon-Fri 11 AM-7 PM. ($5-$6 apps, $3 domestics/$4 imports, $4 well drinks). Hubcap Grill on the Strand serves great burgers. Tsunami is a great little tequila bar on the Strand with a lot of drink specials. Brews Brothers on the Strand has good food and craft beer. Huli Huli Hut on 19th Street is a fun place to eat and drink. Murphy's Pub serves good bar food and has a huge selection of beer. Gumbo Bar on Post Office Street has good Louisiana food. Nearby on Post Office Street is the Saltwater Grill. Can get pricey, but also has a very good Sun-Fri Happy Hour on drinks/food from 5 PM - 7 PM at the bar only.

Jimmy's on the Pier (9001 Seawall Blvd) can be fun if you are in the mood to eat out over the water. Average food, but a great view.

Requiring a drive from the Strand area: Farley Girls Cafe (801 Post Office) and Mosquito Cafe (628 14th Street) are both great with delicious menus.

I am pretty familiar with every hole in the wall restaurant and bar on the island. Feel free to ask a question if you need more information. Galveston has a great vibe if you know where to go.

Harbor House and Tremont House are the only two hotels close to the cruise terminal. The Tremont House is beautiful. Both hotels are a short stroll to the Strand shops, bars, restaurants, and cruise terminal.

Some of my favorite Strand area bars and restaurants (near cruise terminal):

Bubba's on the Strand and Sharkey's Tavern located a few blocks from the Strand on 25th Street both offer good drinks and live music. Stuttgarden offers German food and a great craft beer selection. Fisherman's Wharf on Harborside Drive has a great Happy Hour food/drink menu served only at the bar Mon-Fri 11 AM-7 PM. ($5-$6 apps, $3 domestics/$4 imports, $4 well drinks). Hubcap Grill on the Strand serves great burgers. Tsunami is a great little tequila bar on the Strand with a lot of drink specials. Brews Brothers on the Strand has good food and craft beer. Huli Huli Hut on 19th Street is a fun place to eat and drink. Murphy's Pub serves good bar food and has a huge selection of beer. Gumbo Bar on Post Office Street has good Louisiana food. Nearby on Post Office Street is the Saltwater Grill. Can get pricey, but also has a very good Sun-Fri Happy Hour on drinks/food from 5 PM - 7 PM at the bar only.

Jimmy's on the Pier (9001 Seawall Blvd) can be fun if you are in the mood to eat out over the water. Average food, but a great view.

Requiring a drive from the Strand area: Farley Girls Cafe (801 Post Office) and Mosquito Cafe (628 14th Street) are both great with delicious menus.

I am pretty familiar with every hole in the wall restaurant and bar on the island. Feel free to ask a question if you need more information. Galveston has a great vibe if you know where to go.

Great info! Thank you!

July is peak season so most hotels may require a 2 night minimum. Galveston is not that big. If you want to stay on the Seawall, some hotels shuttle you to the port or it's a cab ride of $10 or less. Hotel Galvez is a lovely historic hotel - we always stay there.

As mentioned, The Spot is good for burgers, sandwiches, family friendly. Also there is a Tiki Bar and Rum Shack is upstairs. Typical bar menus but those are more adult. A great dive bar is The Poop Deck. Stare at the ocean and listen to a great classic jukebox - attracts locals, tourists, bikers, anyone and everyone. Miller's is great for breakfast.

I love Galveston! Mario's on 61st, Gumbo Diner, Nick's, ShyKatz Deli, Board Game Island, Mosquito Cafe, Sunflower Cafe, Yaga's , Stuttgarden Tavern(get the pretzel), and Miller's Seawall Grill are my favorites.

I thought Gaido's and Fish Tales were way overpriced.

I have always wanted to rent a 4 person bicycle on the Seawall but my husband never wants to. L.A. Kings and Patty Cakes are great. The Strand is great for shopping.

Galveston.com has a calendar of events and things to do!

I love Galveston! Mario's on 61st, Gumbo Diner, Nick's, ShyKatz Deli, Board Game Island, Mosquito Cafe, Sunflower Cafe, Yaga's , Stuttgarden Tavern(get the pretzel), and Miller's Seawall Grill are my favorites.

I thought Gaido's and Fish Tales were way overpriced.

Gaido's is pricey and very old school but the food is good. I like the casual side next door (Nick's Kitchen & Beach Bar.) They have a nice patio. But I really can't quibble with your picks.

Fish Tales is a Landry's joint - most Tillman Fertitta restaurants are expensive and mediocre.

I <3 Sunflower Cafe for breakfast. Love, love love. I've had good meals at Saltwater Grill. Rudy & Paco is probably the best food on the island. Shrimp & Stuff is a quality fried seafood dive. The best soft shell crabs are at Benno's.

For hotels: I like the Country Inn & Suites and the Four Points Sheraton because you can usually get in without a 2 night minimum. (Not always, but it's worth trying.)

The reality is that Galveston is not that big, so getting a ride to the port isn't hard.

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in January for 1 night and it was great. We had an awesome lunch at http://blvdseafood.com. Also went next door for some great beers at https://beerfootbrewery.com. Spent a couple of hours walking up and down the strand. It was a bit cold and very hazy with lots of fog the next morning, but we had a great visit!

Try Cajun Greek for dinner. Nothing fancy, but foods good. Last time we stayed at Hampton Inn and Suites. Walmart directly across the street and some sandwich shops my brother ate at and thought were good in the same shopping area. Hampton isn't all that close to the port and in my checking there isn't much in way of places to stay that are. Would love to stay at the Galvez, but's it's always been $$$$ when I have checked. Woody's is a short drive and good for a fun couple of hours for a cocktail and watch the sunset.