Carnival and the closure of Port of Miami

ktcruiser

Hi there,

I was on the RCL Majesty of the Seas that was due to sail out of the Port of Miami on Dec 19th when a small seaplane went down, tragically killing 20 people , and delaying departure of all ships in the Port for 24 hours.

There were two Carnival ships in port as well -- Fascination and Imagination (?). I am wondering how those two ships dealt with the port closure in terms of compensating passengers, if at all. We on the Majesty received $100 in shipboard credit, and there was a rumor floating around that Carnival offered their passengers credit for another cruise. Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,

Karyn

Thanks for your responses. I was just curious because a number of people on our RCL cruise were rather disgruntled because they felt RCL had not reimbursed enough, and that Carnival patrons might have gotten more. Frankly, my travel partner and I were fairly pleased with RCL, given that the delay was not their fault.

-Karyn

We need to remember that the cruise lines are in business to MAKE MONEY...

If they compensated everyone everytime something 'went wrong', inexpensive cruising would cease to exist..

I'd like to see the airlines care HALF as much about inconvenience to their customers...

Thanks for your responses. I was just curious because a number of people on our RCL cruise were rather disgruntled because they felt RCL had not reimbursed enough, and that Carnival patrons might have gotten more. Frankly, my travel partner and I were fairly pleased with RCL, given that the delay was not their fault.

-Karyn

There was a thread over on the RCI board posted by a passenger aboard the Majesty at the time of the incident. It seems that many passengers were upset over a lot of things including not knowing when or if the ship would sail from Miami. I don't think that a lot of the passengers stopped to think that the cruise lines had no choice as they were not the ones making the calls. I would not have wanted to be the one working at the Pursers desk that day.:eek:

I was on the imagination that was set to sail on the 19th of December. What they offered was a $100/pp credit or the opportunity to have your money refunded for the cruise. We chose to stay since we didn't really know how we would make other plans. I don't recall any free drinks though, I know we were always charged on our sail and sign card anytime we got a drink.

Archived