Experience using Carnival's Vacation Protection

Jenn1974

Has anyone had to cancel last minute but you had the Vacation Protection plan? My mother in law is currently in intensive care and my son and I are supposed to cruise in 3 weeks. As of right now we still plan to cruise but if something happens we may have to cancel. We have vacation protection from Carnival I was just wondering how that works. I also already bought the cheers and bubbles packages from Carnival Fun shops. Can you share your experience? thanks

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's health issues. I hope she will be better very soon.

I have experience here. We were booked on a cruise last September and purchased Carnival's insurance. Three days before the sail date, I was in the hospital after suffering a mild stroke. I called Carnival from the hospital bed and cancelled. They gave me the number for the insurance carrier.

The insurance people were very nice and very easy to deal with. They got some information from me and emailed me the forms to fill out and submit for the claim. I had always heard the refund takes about 3 weeks. We had the refund in about 2 1/2 weeks.

We had also purchased FTTF and some things from Bon Voyage. Carnival refunded those, as well as taxes and port fees.

All in all it was painless. I wish you and your family the best.

According to the Carnival site your policy should cover these reasons:

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate families which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

I googled "Carnival Vacation Protection plan" to find the correct pages. There's a lot more of what's in the fine print including what to do if you cancel.

That being said ... my DH had a medical issue 5 days before our Dec cruise. We were refunded from Carnival, within the week, our taxes, port fees, and purchases we'd made from the fun shops. The 2nd party insurance company Aon Affinity refunded everything else (except of course the cost of the insurance) within 2 weeks of them receiving our claim paperwork.