Diet Issue

vcdarty

We'll be bringing a pre-diabetic friend on an upcoming Viking cruise. Will need lo/no carb and sugar-free options on board. Other lines have accommodated, but this will be a first-time Viking Ocean cruise.

Need we be concerned? Your experiences? Thanks!

We'll be bringing a pre-diabetic friend on an upcoming Viking cruise. Will need lo/no carb and sugar-free options on board. Other lines have accommodated, but this will be a first-time Viking Ocean cruise.

Need we be concerned? Your experiences? Thanks!

You need not be concerned. Contact Viking in advance and then again when you board. For those of us with dietary issues (for me it is bell pepper and garlic), they have a system for dealing with you for the evening meals in the MDR and the specialty restaurants. In the buffet, there is always a manager wander around and they can help you navigate the foods on the buffet.

From the Viking FAQ:

Can You Accommodate My Dietary Needs?

We can in most cases. Every meal has vegetarian options on the menu, and our chefs are able to prepare low-salt or gluten-free cuisine. Guests requiring special diets such as diabetic or low-cholesterol meals must alert Viking Cruises one month prior to departure and inform the Maître d’ when on board. The chefs will make every effort to accommodate these requests.

Just cruised on the Star in January 2018, the restaurant manager personally gave me the daily menu to the restaurant and the waiters were very knowledgeable and had the chef come out to talk to me on one occasion, over the top service for a dietary need in my book.

Just cruised on the Star in January 2018, the restaurant manager personally gave me the daily menu to the restaurant and the waiters were very knowledgeable and had the chef come out to talk to me on one occasion, over the top service for a dietary need in my book.

This is SOP on Viking. They do not take allergies and other food issues lightly. There is one assistant manager in the restaurant who is assigned the job of riding herd on all of the people who have informed them of their issues. Each night, he makes it his business to find you and deliver the next night's menu to you. If he doesn't find you, he will leave the menu on your cabin door. On our most recent cruise, it was Mr. Singh and so that we would remember his name, he told us to remember that "Singh is king." It worked. I remembered.

Thanks for the good input. I contacted Viking and received a near-immediate response asking for our booking number so the dietary request could be entered on the manifest. (Has to be done at least two weeks prior to sailing.)

And received a quick confirmation that this had been done, with the advice to check with restaurant manager upon embarkation. Well done, Viking!