Was a report ever issued on the sinking of the Pride of America?

smeyer418

I know the Dawn's NTSB totally absolved the crew(with nary a mention of the DONALD). But was there ever a report on the Pride Of America's sinking(yes I know the report was that it didn't sink but was comfortable resting on the bottom and against the pier)?

Thanks...I know all that. I just wanted to see if they ever said WHY it sank. Please don't say because it filled with water. I know that too. I know the NTSB didn't issue a report. But if there has been one in Genrmany I haven't seen a report on that either.

WHY it sank. Please don't say because it filled with water. I know that too.

Neither NCL nor Lloyd Werft has commented on European press reports that suggested that the ship may have sunk because it was moored incorrectly, with hawsers holding the ship too tightly to the dock so that in the gale the ship listed allowing water to enter through open portholes.

from

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2004a.html

I don't think this is the same insurance company most of us use. I don't know if that line of unsurance has been profitable or not...The estimate of the repair was $225,000,000 the balance must have been for the loss of use of the ship...

You're right. The estimation was $225 million, not the $275 million I wrote earlier. I must have misread the numbers earlier.

Never-the-less, that's still a significant amount o fcash.

Also, here's some photos of the POAm sitting at the bottom of the harbour.

POAphoto1.jpg

POAphoto2.jpg

POAphoto3.jpg

Not a pretty sight.

Thanks...Obviously there doesn't appear to be a final report. Someone must really be embarrassed.
The need for an official government marine accident report must be marginal in this case. No navigational activities (in the strict sense) were involved, neither was the ship being used for any public purposes. There does not seem to have been any real risk of serious injury or loss of life in such a shallow construction dock. There therefore don't seem to be any real public interest issues that need investigating; compare, say, the accidents and incidents that happen when paying pax are actually on board.

You're right. The estimation was $225 million, not the $275 million I wrote earlier. I must have misread the numbers earlier.

Never-the-less, that's still a significant amount o fcash.

Also, here's some photos of the POAm sitting at the bottom of the harbour.

POAphoto1.jpg

POAphoto2.jpg

POAphoto3.jpg

Not a pretty sight.

You're right about that. Ugliest ship I have EVER seen. QM 2 is a close second.

Archived