Excursion Descriptions

cocopico

We are doing the Into the Midnight Sun cruise in early July. This will be our fourth Viking Ocean cruise and we are looking forward to it. As others have noted, the excursion prices seem to be a bit higher than on our earlier cruises with Viking. But here is my question -- does Viking post the longer, more detailed descriptions of the shore excursions anywhere? The one-paragraph descriptions in the MyVikingJourney are great overviews, but nothing like the descriptions given during the port talks on board the ship. We have frequently found ourselves wishing we had made a different choice after hearing the more detailed descriptions at the port talks, but at that point it is too late to make a change if you have any existing reservation on other paid (as opposed to included) excursions. Thanks.

Go to the page on the Viking site for the Into the Midnight Sun cruise, scroll down to the Day by Day section of the itinerary. Click on the Read More link for any of the ports and then scroll down again. You will find a list of all possible shore excursions for that port, and if you click on any of them you will get a good description. Your particular sailing may not offer all of the ones shown there, but the descriptions are useful. They are also available for viewing before the specific selection for your cruise show up in My Viking Journey.

No they seem to make the descriptions brief so people dont complain something was left out or the tour was altered. It would be very helpful if they gave more info especially if you cant walk well or for a long time. Even on the ship the Explorers desk staff did not seem helpful with my questions as they gave all the wrong answers. There is no reason to not give a good overview of the tours since they should be very similar each time (which they are not). I personally took the same Barcelona included tour and both were very different, if I had not taken the first one we would have missed important sights (I think the guide was lazy and gave an hour free time instead of being a good guide). Also when I asked about the included tour of St Tropez the Explorer staff said it would be easy to walk around on the tour and the bus was right there, well the busses were at the end of a walking tour and glad my mom did not listen to me and stayed on the boat that day. The Viking staff on the phone are no better, when I asked where you were dropped off and picked up in Florence they didnt know, well we were dropped off and picked up at the same location as last time which is the same as marked on their map. It makes planning easier if you get the right info. There is no reason for wrong answers for tour questions that they do every other week for the past 2 months (plus last year). We should accept tour changes and variations based on current conditions.

Thanks, but I think those are the same one-paragraph descriptions that appear in the MyVikingJourney. The descriptions provided in the port talks provide more details, such as how long you are going to have to spend on a bus to get to a particular location. I thought I saw a document posted online somewhere that included the details, but I haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks, but I think those are the same one-paragraph descriptions that appear in the MyVikingJourney. The descriptions provided in the port talks provide more details, such as how long you are going to have to spend on a bus to get to a particular location. I thought I saw a document posted online somewhere that included the details, but I haven't been able to find it again.

I have never seen anything that detailed. That would be great information to have. What are your dates for your cruise? And what ship?