Flight changed by AA

bigblue1952

And what law would that be?

Flight changes more than 2 hours difference, airlines have to give you notice, then you have 24 hours to accept or change ( no fee) the flight.

What Law? I would guess FAA has a say!

Flight changes more than 2 hours difference, airlines have to give you notice, then you have 24 hours to accept or change ( no fee) the flight.

What Law? I would guess FAA has a say!

Where do you get your information from? There is no law, especially an FAA one, that the airlines have to do anything if they change your flights. If there was they all wouldn't do it different like they do now!

Where do you get your information from? There is no law, especially an FAA one, that the airlines have to do anything if they change your flights. If there was they all wouldn't do it different like they do now!

Likewise where do you get information contrary to what is posted. Work for FAA, airline?? Just wondering.

I fly Spirit simply because I have 3 airports to choose from and the 2 times my flight has been changed by 2 hours or more, I have received e-mail stating such and I should accept the changes or rebook with no fee.

And Spirit would be one of the last airlines to give you something if it was mandated from somewhere/someone!

Likewise where do you get information contrary to what is posted. Work for FAA, airline?? Just wondering.

I get information contrary to what is posted because there is no law. I can't show you something that doesn't exist, but if there is a law, you should be able to find it and show me. When you do and post it, I will admit that I was wrong. The FAA has absolutely nothing to do with any passenger rules with airlines, they strictly govern the crews and equipment.

If there was a law, why would all of the airlines have different rules? I can show you that:

American Airlines: If the change exceeds 90 minutes, the airline allows passengers to switch to any flight within 24 hours before or after the original departure time.

Delta Air Lines: Delta’s policy is the most generous. It allows free changes if the trip departs 60 minutes earlier than originally scheduled or arrives 30 minutes later.

United Airlines: The airline’s rules only apply to the arrival time. If that arrival time shifts by at least an hour or if a nonstop flight becomes a connecting trip, passengers can make free changes to most other United flights. If that arrival time changes more than two hours, passengers also have the option to cancel and get a refund. If the departure time shifts, however, the airline’s policy is that no change is allowed if the flier still arrives at the same time.

I get information contrary to what is posted because there is no law. I can't show you something that doesn't exist, but if there is a law, you should be able to find it and show me. When you do and post it, I will admit that I was wrong. The FAA has absolutely nothing to do with any passenger rules with airlines, they strictly govern the crews and equipment.

If there was a law, why would all of the airlines have different rules? I can show you that:

American Airlines: If the change exceeds 90 minutes, the airline allows passengers to switch to any flight within 24 hours before or after the original departure time.

Delta Air Lines: Delta’s policy is the most generous. It allows free changes if the trip departs 60 minutes earlier than originally scheduled or arrives 30 minutes later.

United Airlines: The airline’s rules only apply to the arrival time. If that arrival time shifts by at least an hour or if a nonstop flight becomes a connecting trip, passengers can make free changes to most other United flights. If that arrival time changes more than two hours, passengers also have the option to cancel and get a refund. If the departure time shifts, however, the airline’s policy is that no change is allowed if the flier still arrives at the same time.

I was wrong it’s not FAA , however the Department of Transportation does State on it web site what airlines are mandated /not mandated to do.

It is a good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wrong it’s not FAA , however the Department of Transportation does State on it web site what airlines are mandated /not mandated to do.

Maybe you saw something that I didn't. It talks about Reservations, Fares, Ticketing and Fees but it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Not sure what you saw. Please tell me where to look and I will.

Go to Dept of Transportation

Click on Aviation

It says what airlines are mandated to do with time changes, doesn’t specifically say they don’t need to let you change .

I’m guessing like always the Fed. Govt isn’t telling us all, but I’d be willing to bet their message has been conveyed

Well that’s just silly! Obviously if your departure time changes, your arrival time is going to change!

Well that’s just silly! Obviously if your departure time changes, your arrival time is going to change!

Not necessarily. If you had a long layover because that fare was cheaper than one with a shorter layover, your departure time could change to a later flight, but your arrival time is the same, because you are connecting to the same plane you would have been on after your original flight, just with a shorter layover.

Go to Dept of Transportation

Click on Aviation

It says what airlines are mandated to do with time changes, doesn’t specifically say they don’t need to let you change .

This is exactly what I have been saying. It says they have to notify you, and then only if the flight is within seven days. Other than that, NOTHING. Nowhere does it say anything about a two hour or more change they have to do this or that. Anything that they do is specific to that airline, as I pointed out in my post above---the big three all do something different.

Thanks for the reply. This is an international flight to Toronto so this may not be possible.

Call AA...this happened to me once for a cruise and when I called the rep told me "no problem to change and no change fee since it was AA that changed the time"

Not necessarily. If you had a long layover because that fare was cheaper than one with a shorter layover, your departure time could change to a later flight, but your arrival time is the same, because you are connecting to the same plane you would have been on after your original flight, just with a shorter layover.

That's my upcoming trip. Airline completely cancelled the beginning leg. I kept the remaining leg (they wanted me to arrive a day later), so now, instead of a 1.25 hour layover, I've got a 10 hour layover.

I'd have to check Flyertalk, but I believe there's no specific law. There are individual policies made by each airline though.

Go on line and look at all the available flights that day to your destination, selecting one that mimics the best your original flight. Call AA and explain that they made the change and the new schedule does not work for you. They are required by law to change the flight at no cost. I had to do exactly this last night for flights into and out of MIA for November.
Not sure if it is required by law, but AA will change your flights if you are not satisified with the changes, as long as you leave and come back on the same day. I just did it with my December flight to New Orleans, as they changed my connection in DFW to only 40 minutes and that was not acceptable to me. Easy change, no charge.

BTW, there was not a 2 hour difference in the flight time and it was more than 24 hours after the change (I never received an email from them for the change).

Edited by NLH Arizona