how is to be coeliac on RC Oasis of the seas

I am hearing very conflicting thing about the gluten free bread. Some say they make it and may even have a variety. Others state it is just Udis (nothing to get excited about) and they may not even have enough on board to last the weak. Love a recent update on this from the allure. I was told by special needs department (remember I do not totally trust what they tell me. They said that unless it is sated on the menu no special diets can be honored in room service. They no have gluten free toast listed at breakfast. love to hear if anyone had any luck getting the royal hamburger from room service on a gluten free bun, or gluten free pancakes or waffles at breakfast from room service.

I would suspect that the Allure is the same as the Oasis, and we had an awesome time and ate quite well in respect to GF on the ship. Not every establishment has a GF menu, but they will provide you with GF choices.

We did have bread and buns that were made on board, and we saw the kitchen that they made the bread in.

This photo is of the GF bread/buns being proofed, and ready for that nights meal.

enhance

MjQeuQ

Edited by Valiamo

I've been diagnosed Coeliac for 4 years now and in that time been on Anthem, Independence, and Rhapsody. GF Provision overall is as other posters have described - most ships (Certainly the three I've been on first hand) have a Windjammer section that is GF seperate from other islands. However, this won't entirely cut out the chance for CC (cross Contamination) as diners often pick from both GF area and non GF and could contaminate that way. There are nearly ALWAYS people who don't need GF choosing from the GF section. Certainly the chance of CC is much more reduced with this system in Windjammer but its still there so you need to be vigilant, or order directly from the kitchen. Ordering from the kitchen can also be hit and miss, - if you get a savvy server and its not too busy you are in luck. Sometimes tho, the server dismisses you if they aren't sure, rather than checking. Sometimes, it can be a lengthy wait which can be frustrating.

All that said, here are some marvellous experiences I've had

At breakfast, they usually have a big vat of GF pancake batter and will make you GF Pancakes on request. And I recommend you request!! They are bloomin gorgeous!!!

Most of the coffee and snacky places have Udi's pre packed cookies, but they are tucked away and given only on request. So deffo request!!

When in the main dining room, at breakfast and lunch, there are GF options, but the later you arrive, the more likely the chance that any GF alternatives have run out for that session - and also be ready for the wait!! That said, the prepared breakfasts are in general much lovelier than the Windjammer fare.

At lunch in main dining room, there are often Salad bowl lines where the servers will prep you a salad with your choices, and then chop and season to your order. This is better than self serve as the servers are far more careful and clean the utensils well :0) Along the same lines, there are egg stations where you can get an omelet or other eggy stuff cooked to order in front of you. tHese are often quicker than ordering.

My favourite speciality restaurants are Giovanis, (for great anti pasti and steaks) Chops (if you get a good server and they aren't too busy) and top of my personal list is Izumi - but I guess it depends on if you like sushi etc :)

My advice is to ASK always ask - usually you can be accommodated. Be prepared to wait, try not to rock up near the end of a mealtime session, and order ahead if you can :)

Daisy xxxx

• 1 month later...