Kids in own cabin but not registered that way?

AandBmom

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a debate about kids on their own in cabins. I've cruised a lot and know what I'm comfortable with and our kids are old enough to be on their own next door. I do however need some info....

In order to book a cruise we had to put an adult in each cabin. So I'm in a cabin with my daughter, and hubby is in a cabin with our 3 sons.

We however will be sleeping adults together and kids together. I have read people do this all the time, just can't book like this.

How do cruise cards work? In the past we've had a connecting door so we didn't switch any cards around.

This time we do not.

So....what do people do? Switching cards doesn't work for onboard purchases, etc. Will they switch the names when we check in?

Also, I don't drink, hubby does. He has cheers, I do not. This works now b/c we're in separate cabins. If we switch to one cabin will they then relook at the cheers booking and force me to buy it?

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a debate about kids on their own in cabins. I've cruised a lot and know what I'm comfortable with and our kids are old enough to be on their own next door. I do however need some info....

In order to book a cruise we had to put an adult in each cabin. So I'm in a cabin with my daughter, and hubby is in a cabin with our 3 sons.

We however will be sleeping adults together and kids together. I have read people do this all the time, just can't book like this.

How do cruise cards work? In the past we've had a connecting door so we didn't switch any cards around.

This time we do not.

So....what do people do? Switching cards doesn't work for onboard purchases, etc. Will they switch the names when we check in?

Also, I don't drink, hubby does. He has cheers, I do not. This works now b/c we're in separate cabins. If we switch to one cabin will they then relook at the cheers booking and force me to buy it?

The only reason to book the way you did is if (1) the cabins are too far apart based on the kids' ages or (2) to purchase Cheers for one adult and not the other.

Having said that, everyone will need to go to Guest Services together. You can get extra keys for the rooms that work just as keys, so Mom can move to the room with Dad (or visa versa) and the kids can go where they are supposed to. Easy Peasey.

Just go to guest services and they will give you what ever keys you need. Tell them you want a key to your husbands room and you want your other child to have a key to your room. All parties will probably need to be present at guest services just in case. Then you can sleep however you want. These will be separate from your sign and sail card so people switching rooms will have to carry two cards.

As for cheers, they will not add it on. He will have it on his card and you will not.

I'm sure the cruise critic board police will have some issues on this but this is how we did it and it worked fine.

Just go to guest services and they will give you what ever keys you need. Tell them you want a key to your husbands room and you want your other child to have a key to your room. All parties will probably need to be present at guest services just in case. Then you can sleep however you want. These will be separate from your sign and sail card so people switching rooms will have to carry two cards.

As for cheers, they will not add it on. He will have it on his card and you will not.

I'm sure the cruise critic board police will have some issues on this but this is how we did it and it worked fine.

Exactly. We did the same with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We are in the same situation. We done it that way so only husband had to buy Cheers so he is booked with 18 year old kid and I am booked with 22 year old kid and now we have decided not to do cheers at all so we are booked that way for no reason now. Is it possible to call and have us switched now or is that not an option??

We are in the same situation. We done it that way so only husband had to buy Cheers so he is booked with 18 year old kid and I am booked with 22 year old kid and now we have decided not to do cheers at all so we are booked that way for no reason now. Is it possible to call and have us switched now or is that not an option??

You can do it super fast on board, we switched around our rooms this past week with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question though...I am booked in a room with my 2 nieces and my hubby is booked in another room with my 15 yrs old niece...so my one niece and myself need new room keys...being as though she's 15 should I bring my sister to the guest services too and does hubby need to come with us to guest services or can only myself and my niece who need new room keys go?????

I just didn't know how far they would take this meaning if they needed parent consent or consent of the other adults in the rooms etc...

We are booked on the Carnival Dream in June and my husband and I are in one room and the kids are in a room right next door. They are 15 and 13. They will actually be closer to me in the ship than they are in their own bedrooms at home, so I’m not worried in the least about them being in their own. I am glad to know that I can get a separate key to their room though as that was one question we had. Do what works best for your family and enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only reason to book the way you did is if (1) the cabins are too far apart based on the kids' ages or (2) to purchase Cheers for one adult and not the other.

Having said that, everyone will need to go to Guest Services together. You can get extra keys for the rooms that work just as keys, so Mom can move to the room with Dad (or visa versa) and the kids can go where they are supposed to. Easy Peasey.

That is not the only reason to book cabins that way with an adult in each. The damn website NEVER lets me put my "kids" in their own cabin. They are 23, 19 and 18. Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, no matter where I want to go in the world they make me split adults and "kids". FWIW we have always traveled in connecting or adjoining rooms. The last cruise I took them on this January on the Conquest I still had to call and even then she said because the youngest was "only 18" an adult had be be booked in his room. I know some people on here will not believe me but this has happened to me EVERY single time.

That is our plan for our upcoming cruise. I am booked in a room with my son and nephew. My wife is booked with our niece. Adjoining inside cabins. Brother is booked across the hall in a Balcony. Just getting an extra room keep for each inside cabin and myself and my niece will be swapping so the kids can have their own room.

We didn't do it that way for Cheers, all adults have that. We had to book that way so that each cabin had a qualified VIFP offer for the rate.

^^ This^^

We did this a number of times with no issues. the key was issued as "Room only" so it was easily distinguished from your S&S card.

I always go by myself to guest services and never have a problem getting several Keys for both rooms. Our bookings are linked so we never have an issue. We are a family of 6 so always have two rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is not the only reason to book cabins that way with an adult in each. The damn website NEVER lets me put my "kids" in their own cabin. They are 23, 19 and 18. Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, no matter where I want to go in the world they make me split adults and "kids". FWIW we have always traveled in connecting or adjoining rooms. The last cruise I took them on this January on the Conquest I still had to call and even then she said because the youngest was "only 18" an adult had be be booked in his room. I know some people on here will not believe me but this has happened to me EVERY single time.

Yes, this was our issue on a family cruise we have planned. Had to book an "adult" in a room with our twenty something's. When I asked Carnival what they considered an adult they said someone over 25, or a married couple under 25.

I did have an issue once when I was trying to get an extra key for the room my husband and child were booked in. The lady at guest services said that my husband would have to be there to get the key. I told her that I booked and paid for the room, but she still wouldn't give me the extra key. It was quite annoying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app