Naples/Sorrento/Capri

seemoreroyals

Sure.

The first ferry of the day to Sorrento doesn't depart until 9 AM so you might want to go to Capri first, as there are many more ferries headed over there. Of course, that means you're coming back from Sorrento and the last ferry is pretty early, at 4:30 PM, so you might get more time with your original plan as there are later returns from Capri.

Note that weekend ferries between Sorrento and Naples only run between April - October.

You could extend your day by about 45 minutes by taking the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento in the morning. There is a semi-express train (makes only 16 stops vs. the regular 30+) that departs Naples at 8:11 AM and arrives to Sorrento just after 9 AM.

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Napoli%20Sorrento.pdf

One good reason for going to Sorrento first vs. Capri first is that most of the stores close in Sorrento between 1-3 pm for a sort of "siesta". My sister and BIL arrived from Capri just around 1pm and found most things closed, so the timing wasn't ideal.

(I stayed in Sorrento for a week a few years ago and found the same thing to be true, except we were off sightseeing somewhere else most of the day so it didn't matter to us -- except when we'd get back late afternoon and our favorite salumeria (sort of a deli) was still closed at 3:30 when we wanted to pick up some delicious bread, cheese and meat for the next day's picnic....)

Thank you EC and CM22 for your help. Do either of you know how far from where the NCL Epic docks it is to catch the train and the approx cost per person? We don't mind a reasonable walk but would probably catch a shuttle to get there if it is over a mile away and not too expensive.

I like the idea of going to Sorrento first and getting there before they start their siesta.

It's one and a third miles on foot from the cruise port to Porta Nolana, the starting point of the Circumvesuviana line.

You can take the #151 bus from the stop just in front of the cruise port to Porta Nolana: http://www.anm.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2423&Itemid=260

The bus runs along the waterfront until Corso Garibaldi where it turns left and heads away from the water. The first stop after that left turn is Porta Nolana.

Looks like the ferry to get from Naples to Sorrento in the morning cost is about 13 euros each. for the 9 am departure, how far ahead of time should we get there? Or if we do the train is it about the same price as the ferry and are there advantages to taking the train such as better views etc?

The train is only €3,90 per person but you get what you pay for. It's a crowded, uncomfortable ride (it's more like a subway car than a traditional train) but it is cheap and it gives you almost an entire additional hour in Sorrento vs. the ferry.

Also note that with the ferry you still have to get up into town in Sorrento, which means either a walk to the elevator, a bus, or a very expensive taxi ride.

If you're taking the ferry I'd want to be at Molo Beverello about 20 minutes prior to give you time to find the ticket office and buy your tickets. They generally board 5 - 10 minutes prior to departure.

and are there advantages to taking the train such as better views etc?

I like the train a little better than euro cruiser does, but only a little. ;)

There are no real views from the train trip to Sorrento; a glimpse of the water here and there, but mostly you see the backs of people's properties or commercial buildings.

I would do it for the extra time in Sorrento though. The train station in Sorrento is in the middle of the town. When you step out of the station, you're THERE.

I agree, I would take the train to gain the extra hour, I just wanted to be honest as possible about what to expect. A large measure of disappointment is a result of the gap between expectations and reality ... if you don't expect much more than transportation from the Circumvesuviana you won't be disappointed.

The train is only €3,90 per person but you get what you pay for. It's a crowded, uncomfortable ride (it's more like a subway car than a traditional train) but it is cheap and it gives you almost an entire additional hour in Sorrento vs. the ferry.

Also note that with the ferry you still have to get up into town in Sorrento, which means either a walk to the elevator, a bus, or a very expensive taxi ride.

If you're taking the ferry I'd want to be at Molo Beverello about 20 minutes prior to give you time to find the ticket office and buy your tickets. They generally board 5 - 10 minutes prior to departure.

How far is it from Sorrento to the ferry station? Even if we do take the train to Sorrento we are still going to have to get from Sorrento to the ferry station to catch the ferry to Capri. We like to walk whenever it is sensible but we don't want to wear everybody out either.

How far is it from Sorrento to the ferry station? Even if we do take the train to Sorrento we are still going to have to get from Sorrento to the ferry station to catch the ferry to Capri. We like to walk whenever it is sensible but we don't want to wear everybody out either.

It's not that it's far -- it is just that Sorrento (like many of the Amalfi towns) is on a steep cliff. If you arrive by ferry, you have to get to the top (where the town is) somehow. There is a large public elevator, which you have to pay per person to use and which can have a bit of a line particularly when a ferry arrives. There's also a steep flight of steps, and probably the option of taking a taxi.

Edited to add: the lift costs 1 euro per person: http://www.sorrentolift.it/en/

So since gravity prevails, it is a lot easier to go down the steps to the ferry than to go up them!

Partial shot of the stairs:

p1160531.jpg

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you CM22. The stairs don't look too bad. Whenever we go to Laughlin, NV we climb a similar set of stairs to get from Harrah's to where we can walk to the rest of main drag. If there is not a line 1 euro to use the lift sounds like a better option and more than reasonable.

Wife tells me its 94 steps in Laughlin. If this one is near that amount should not be a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the train a little better than euro cruiser does, but only a little. ;)

There are no real views from the train trip to Sorrento; a glimpse of the water here and there, but mostly you see the backs of people's properties or commercial buildings.

I would do it for the extra time in Sorrento though. The train station in Sorrento is in the middle of the town. When you step out of the station, you're THERE.

When you travel by ferry, are you close enough to shore to have nice views?

When you travel by ferry, are you close enough to shore to have nice views?

Not really. You can see the port of Naples as you depart (not terribly scenic) and the port of Sorrento as you approach (quite lovely). In between, not much because the land curves in but the boat travels in a more-or-less straight line.