One Way Air Fare Hacks

We are looking at doing a Celebrity Cruise next year which starts in Abu Dhabi and finishes in Singapore but we're finding that one way fares from Sydney especially are about 80% of the return fare and sometimes even almost as much as. Does anyone have any tips on obtaining more reasonably priced one way fares?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Always a big challenge buying one way airfares - but in this case cant you get an open jaw booking to go to Abu Dhabi and then home from Singapore - a TA could sort that out for you. Or is that scenario working out to be expensive?

We are looking at doing a Celebrity Cruise next year which starts in Abu Dhabi and finishes in Singapore but we're finding that one way fares from Sydney especially are about 80% of the return fare and sometimes even almost as much as. Does anyone have any tips on obtaining more reasonably priced one way fares?

This site maybe of some help

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

One option is to look at Air2Sea (linked to royal Caribbean/Celebrity cruises).

http://www.royalcaribbeanchoiceair.com/

I am looking at it for 1-way fare AUS-US. About 50% of return fare.

US cruise critic members have used them and they said good prices for international fares.

Not sure if it is good for your route though?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always a big challenge buying one way airfares - but in this case cant you get an open jaw booking to go to Abu Dhabi and then home from Singapore - a TA could sort that out for you. Or is that scenario working out to be expensive?

Haven't heard of an open jaw booking before but I get the gist of it I think. It's a good idea to speak to a travel agent...thanks for that.

One option is to look at Air2Sea (linked to royal Caribbean/Celebrity cruises).

http://www.royalcaribbeanchoiceair.com/

I am looking at it for 1-way fare AUS-US. About 50% of return fare.

US cruise critic members have used them and they said good prices for international fares.

Not sure if it is good for your route though?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks I'll give it a go

I find google flights can be a good tool for researching flight options, especially multi-city fares. You should be able to get a cheap flight home Singapore to Sydney on Scoot. We paid around $170 each plus seat selection and luggage charges. Not sure how far out Scoot release their fares so you may need to wait.

I found that with jetstar by booking one way from Singapore to Melbourne that it was zoning me into the Singapore prices but by changing the booking and doing Melbourne to Sydney and then Singapore to Melbourne I got heaps cheaper flights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm going to struggle for TA in April 2019. I can only play around since flights aren't available for my dates yet. I'll be flying MEL to Orlando, cruising to Barcelona, then flying home Barcelona to MEL.

It looks like my cheapest options so far are Emirates via Dubai which is a LOT of flying time on the way to Orlando, or a more direct one way to Orlando and then separate tickets Barcelona to Singapore, Singapore to MEL.

I can't figure out this open jaw thing, or if it could even apply to the above.

Any ideas or previous experience welcome!!

Edit: Qatar is showing me $1370 total for the multi city, I'll have to wait and see prices for my real dates, but I think I'll have to suck up 30 odd hours of flying to start my trip..

Edited by Tigerlily75

I'm going to struggle for TA in April 2019. I can only play around since flights aren't available for my dates yet. I'll be flying MEL to Orlando, cruising to Barcelona, then flying home Barcelona to MEL.

It looks like my cheapest options so far are Emirates via Dubai which is a LOT of flying time on the way to Orlando, or a more direct one way to Orlando and then separate tickets Barcelona to Singapore, Singapore to MEL.

Edit: Qatar is showing me $1370 total for the multi city, I'll have to wait and see prices for my real dates, but I think I'll have to suck up 30 odd hours of flying to start my trip..

What you discribed is an open jaw flight.

Basically you fly to one city and return home from a different city.

Your other possible option is buy a round trip ticket to Orlando. Then buy a one way back to Orlando to catch the fight home.

What you discribed is an open jaw flight.

Basically you fly to one city and return home from a different city.

Your other possible option is buy a round trip ticket to Orlando. Then buy a one way back to Orlando to catch the fight home.

Oh I see, I've always just called that "multi-city", thank you! I'll try out the round trip too.

Oh I see, I've always just called that "multi-city", thank you! I'll try out the round trip too.

Airlines call it multi city if you use one airline . If you use two different airlines it’s called Open Jaw by a travel agent.

If you're flying a long way like that, best to fly with the more comfortable carriers like Qatar and Emirates. They're reasonable options for that, especially as pricing appears best. When you talk about one ways and separate tickets via Singapore it sounds more like budget carriers which (a) are going to more likely add surcharges for luggage and food - and anything else, and (B) be less comfortable while you're doing it, and © the risk of missed connections is on you.

Definitely go middle east.

Wouldn’t you do better getting a return to Barcelona and then a single to Orlando?

As middle east carriers serve both ports, an open jaw will still probably be cheaper. Plus if you buy a separate ticket from Barcelona to Orlando (assuming you're connecting), the risk of missed connection is on you, and you'll likely have to shuffle your bag through and re-check in again at Barcelona, both reasons to just get on the one ticket (unless substantially cheaper this way, but I doubt it and expect the opposite).

We're doing much the same next month for a TA from Miami, return from Barcelona.

Definitely worth booking multi-city.

Although Qantas would have been more direct, they were just so expensive! We have booked Qatar multi-city for that low price. Yes, just have to suck up flying the long way round. You might like to take up the offer of a free night in Doha though.

Although Qantas would have been more direct, they were just so expensive! We have booked Qatar multi-city for that low price. Yes, just have to suck up flying the long way round. You might like to take up the offer of a free night in Doha though.

You would have had to fly American (AA) for the US domestic leg.

Qatar international > AA domestic. :-)

You would have had to fly American (AA) for the US domestic leg.

Qatar international > AA domestic. :-)

Yes, it would have been Qantas PER-SYD-DFW then AA to Miami. We've done that before in reverse. Qatar flies directly into Miami from Doha though.

In both cases we booked as multi-city flights through our TA and the prices were equivalent to return flights. NOT 80% of return for each "one way" sector thankfully.

We're doing much the same next month for a TA from Miami, return from Barcelona.

Definitely worth booking multi-city.

Qatar are supposed to be very good. And if it stays the way it's showing now, price will probably win out and I'll do it. I just came back from the ME (on Etihad) and just can't really fathom two 14 odd hour flights in a row! But the free night sounds good - I didn't know about that, thank you! I think I would have to break it up and sleep in a real bed.

Edit: I've got Emirates showing direct Dubai to Orlando, maybe I'll see what they offer for layovers.

Edited by Tigerlily75