Food in Barcelona

There's a very well reviewed tapas tour thebarcelonataste.com that might be just the thing for those of us who want to explore but don't speak the language. It is sometimes hard to know what's in things (I hate seafood!) just by looking and a guide sure would help! Might be something you want to consider. There are several tapas tours with good reviews on Trip Advisor.

On two separate trips to Barcelona we've done the food tour with Barcelona Taste and highly recommend them. One tour was in the Eixample(sp?) area and the other was in the Gothic. Both times we had great guides and tasted some wonderful food & drinks. The guides are more than happy to recommend restaurants for the remainder of your stay. The morning after the tour, you will be sent a list of all the places that you visited on the tour, as well as some additional recommendations.

We do food tours in many of the cities that we visit and have found that it's a great way to learn our way around and to get a feel for the place. We do use TripAdvisor frequently, but often the places ranked highly on that site are very touristy.....the food tours tend to take you to little hole-in-the-wall places that are frequented more by locals than by tourists.

My husband and I have 2 days in Barcelona after our ship docks. We'll be coming off the Norwegian Epic on June 10th. We both love good food and want to experience the authentic recipes and foods as much as we can. We'll be staying Hotel Suizo in the Gothic Quarter. I know there's a ton of restaurants there, but does anyone have recommendations for restaurants or specific dishes that we have to try before we leave the country? Of course we'll ask our hotel front desk/concierge, but I like to gather intel from other people that have traveled.

I live in a very small town in rural Minnesota so authentic, ethnic food is not something I get often and I want to experience as much of it as I can, while I can! :D

Great hotel choice Kayla - we stayed there last time and loved the location. Tapas seem to be popular - we walked towards the seafront from the hotel and stumbled across a couple.

On two separate trips to Barcelona we've done the food tour with Barcelona Taste and highly recommend them. One tour was in the Eixample(sp?) area and the other was in the Gothic. Both times we had great guides and tasted some wonderful food & drinks. The guides are more than happy to recommend restaurants for the remainder of your stay. The morning after the tour, you will be sent a list of all the places that you visited on the tour, as well as some additional recommendations.

We do food tours in many of the cities that we visit and have found that it's a great way to learn our way around and to get a feel for the place. We do use TripAdvisor frequently, but often the places ranked highly on that site are very touristy.....the food tours tend to take you to little hole-in-the-wall places that are frequented more by locals than by tourists.

Taking a food tour never even occurred to me! That sounds awesome! Unfortunately, the couple that I looked up were all booked up for the days we'll be there. :( But we'll definitely be putting that on our list for next time!

• 4 weeks later...

We spent three months in Barcelona last summer and have a few places to recommend for food.

1st...try not to eat on Las Ramblas or close to it if you can. It is over priced and very touristy.

2. For fast food - non Spanish one of our favourite places was Walk to Wok (by the Bouqueria) it was reasonably priced and you can choose what you'd like in your stir fry.

3. Off of Career del Tallers near Plaze Catalunya is a small restaurant called Olive with traditional dishes. The Grilled vegetable appetizer is delicious.

4. Best place and cheapest to people watch. Go to McDonalds on Las Ramblas...grab a drink or ice cream and sit on their patio and people watch. It was great fun.

5. El Cortes d'Ingles...the large department store in Plaza Catalunya has a restaurant on the very top floor with a large assortment of food and drinks. In the afternoon in the heat it is lovely to grab a cold drink and a coveted spot by the window and watch the bustling plaza below. A great spot to rest your feet.

6. Veggie Garden - there are a few. Great spot for interesting vegetarian meals.

7. Flax and Kale - Career del Tallers - again Vegetarian. Fairly upscale...modern..interesting health food.

8. TGB - the good burger...cheap burger chain with pretty good food.

9. 365 Bakery - chain....great for breakfast....their chocolate croissants!!! Great coffee

10. Pizza place on Career del Tallers and Valdonzella - cheap...pretty good for the price...

11. More upscale on the water...Agua...make a reservation and eat on the beach. Loved the fish.

12. Try and go to L'Arenas....the old bull ring. There are quite a few restaurants on top that are lovely and the view is beautiful!

Taking a food tour never even occurred to me! That sounds awesome! Unfortunately, the couple that I looked up were all booked up for the days we'll be there. :( But we'll definitely be putting that on our list for next time!

Did you try Air BNB experiences. We did one with them that was a lot of fun.

Please excuse our non-adventurous dining preference. We're just plain type folks...where can we get just some basic american type food in Barcelona. We'll be staying at the Jazz Hotel. Our last trip there our dining options left us anxious to board the ship.

Thanks so much for not criticizing and instead offering some suggestions.

We stayed at the Jazz in April and looking out the window of our room we saw a burger restaurant across the street on the corner. Sorry can't remember the exact name of the restaurant.

McDonalds? I am sorry but I don't know what is "american food", I've tasted succulent clam chowder in New England, cochon de lait in Cajun country, broccoli chicken casserole in the Midwest or kuchen in Dakota, among other, all of them from very different types of cuisine. If you could be more precise... I'll be glad to suggest something.

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from two weeks in Spain. It was amazing. We were in Barcelona for a few days and I’ve outlined where we ate, links to restaurants and pictures of the food. We were traveling with a ‘foodie’ group and a chef/restaurant owner coordinated the entire trip. It was amazing. https://gotravellife.com/2018/05/27/spain-2018-part-1-barcelona-roses-cadaques-figueres-and-surrounding-areas/. Hope it’s helpful and have a wonderful time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I work in the restaurant industry, make my living working with creative chefs...and I go to McDonald's and Hard Rock when I travel. There is no bad choice. The right choice is the one that allows you to experience an adventure. If you know you can get an American burger at one of those places later in the day, perhaps it gives you the freedom to try something unfamiliar at lunch. Explore and enjoy and do what's right for you.

5. El Cortes d'Ingles...the large department store in Plaza Catalunya has a restaurant on the very top floor with a large assortment of food and drinks. In the afternoon in the heat it is lovely to grab a cold drink and a coveted spot by the window and watch the bustling plaza below. A great spot to rest your feet.

This place looks like a good spot for lunch!

We just got back and found that reservations were helpful at a few places even if they were made just a few hours in advance (we really enjoyed Arume in Raval). I used TheFork.com to reserve online. It's associated with Trip Advisor.