Avalon affinity

judypat52

We are looking at booking the Rhine River cruise in September. Our travel agent gave us a price on the Affinity, but reading the information, the boat was launched in 2009. Would it be better to go later and book a newer ship. I have nothing against old things, since I am in that category, just wondered about the beds and furnishings.

We are looking at booking the Rhine River cruise in September. Our travel agent gave us a price on the Affinity, but reading the information, the boat was launched in 2009. Would it be better to go later and book a newer ship. I have nothing against old things, since I am in that category, just wondered about the beds and furnishings.

I would at least get a price for a newer ship. River ships are generally in great shape, regardless of their age. Since the ships usually don't sail during January and February, they can be fixed up during that period. If you're looking at a cabin on the second or third decks, the new ships have cabins that are 200 sq. ft. (vs. 172) with beds facing the window. Also the floor-to-ceiling window is significantly wider.

Our first river cruise was on the Affinity about four years ago. We had a fantastic time. Not having sailed on a "Suite Ship" at the time, we didn't know any better. The ship was very nice. The crew was amazing. If that sailing fits your calendar, go for it. Don't let a slightly smaller cabin deter you. The beds are are all the same size and that's about all you need the cabin for.