Was it a tip or bribe if I offered before I received?

b8tzm

I needed my table changed on the Conquest 12/11/05. Fortunately I was swiftly accomodated and pulled out a $20 which the Maitre Di promptly said no thank you not necessary my pleasure. I offered it after the fact so it was a tip wasn't it.

What if I walked up to the Maitre Di and handed (or tried to) $20 before I made the request? I might have walked up and said I need your assistance as I handed him a $20??? In most instances would the results be better? If offered prior is it a bribe versus afterwards which is what I did?

Thoughts anyone?

I needed my table changed on the Conquest 12/11/05. Fortunately I was swiftly accomodated and pulled out a $20 which the Maitre Di promptly said no thank you not necessary my pleasure. I offered it after the fact so it was a tip wasn't it.

What if I walked up to the Maitre Di and handed (or tried to) $20 before I made the request? I might have walked up and said I need your assistance as I handed him a $20??? In most instances would the results be better? If offered prior is it a bribe versus afterwards which is what I did?

Thoughts anyone?

In my opinion, I think it depends on the spirit in which the $20 was given. If you gave it as a bribe, then it was so. If you gave it as a tip, then it was so.

A bribe is something given to sway someone or to change something.

A tip is given as a thank you for services rendered.

Here we go again!!!!!

The reason I chuckle is that the last thread on this topic, about a week ago, had one poster suggesting that jail time was in order for tipping my room steward at the beginning of the cruise. Or was it a bribe?????

CTMak

Here we go again!!!!!

The reason I chuckle is that the last thread on this topic, about a week ago, had one poster suggesting that jail time was in order for tipping my room steward at the beginning of the cruise. Or was it a bribe?????

CTMak

Are you kidding me? How silly!

Is it okay to call my fellow CC pals MORONS? :) No, okay then, I won't. :rolleyes:

Wanman and Sgriff17:

It's a long story with many posts on that thread, but the gist of it is that the thread wandered from a normal tipping one to why-should you-have-to-tip-at all -- the point being that you don't tip your doctor, or the ship's captain, etc.

You're right -- it was silly. But there was a poster who was pretty passionate about it. Entertaining though.

CTMak

Wonder why he wouldn't take the money...At the end of my Elation cruise I got an envelope and was instructed that it was customary for everyone to tip the Maitre d' on the final night. I hadn't ever gotten that kind of thing before. I thought I had read on the boards that the Maitre d' was salaried. :confused: Maybe I dreamed it...

To the OP...I'd be inclined to say it was a tip because you offered it after he assisted you. And honestly, whether it was a tip or a bribe it's hardly of that much consequence. I wouldn't lose sleep over it! :)

Did you ever in advance give a big tip with the expectation of getting better service? What's that? That's a bribe.

from

http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5670

3. something voluntarily given in return for a favor, or now esp. a service; hence, a bounty; a tip; a bribe.

from

http://www.limoraces.com/tips.htm

personally, I don't care which word describes my handing over cash at which ever time I choose to lighten my wallet;) I freely give it, some one is glad to receive it and I keep the thesaurus out of it. Now a dictionary, whole other thread. So I'm not the best helper here.

this last triumph cruise, only time we didn't push s $20 or $50 in the Maitre d's hand, he kept insisting no. This was the first time we didn't get the switch we wanted!!!! 4 carnival cruises, never have been assigned our choice of dinning, 3 of 4 were switched with a tip.

Now it seems a new trend has developed not to take tips.... but CCL sure makes it well known that a tip is expected at the end. (provided you're happy with the service). so I'm assuming that any "gift" I wanted to give would only be accepted then. This takes half the fun out of playing the "get me my table for a tip game" which I've been playing with carnival since I started cruising:(

Wanman and Sgriff17:

It's a long story with many posts on that thread, but the gist of it is that the thread wandered from a normal tipping one to why-should you-have-to-tip-at all -- the point being that you don't tip your doctor, or the ship's captain, etc.

You're right -- it was silly. But there was a poster who was pretty passionate about it. Entertaining though.

CTMak

You are right, CT, this is pretty funny. I remember the thread you are referring to and it was humorous. Now, just today, 2 threads on basically the same thing. I hope the tip/bribe police don't find out about me. I may be due for several years in a federal pen.

Mercy.

Thoughts anyone?

As a poster suggested they are eager to take at end and it appears you were accomodated before you tried to give him the $20 so wonder why he didn't take, I guarantee you they take at end happily.

We just got our cruise docs Christmas Eve (YEAH) and spent Christmas day reading through them. If I recall, there was a specific paragraph about tipping the Maitre'd - it is NOT allowed, period, before the cruise. Gratuities allowed only at the end of the cruise. Makes sense, levels the playing field for all guests I suppose.

As far as your room stewards, we have every intention to leave half the additional tip at the beginning of the cruise, and if all goes as expected, the other half of the additional tips at the end. Will leave the S&S tips on the card, just like to give a little extra too.

BF tipped (bribed) the room steward on the first day and asked that he [the steward] keep the ice chest filled. It was a bribe in the sense that he wanted him to do something beyond his normal duties. It was a tip in the sense that he was going to keep it whether he performed that service or not.

In other words, it is purely semantics in the sense of the service industry.

On our western Caribbean cruise the first day from NY we passed "Cape Hat or us" turned around and had a passenger "med I vaced". Went on our merrry way. A couple of hours we turned around again, another "med I vac"

My point

If they "bribed" in the beginning they didn't get their monies worth.

I wonder if their "Automatic tip" was deducted?

Archived