Spring Break on Cruise Ships

Beach Life 1

People who like or want to cruise during spring break are out of their minds or didn't do their homework. Yeah, nothing says relaxing vacation like a bunch of drunk rowdy kids overflowing the bar and pools ........ I have two little ones and am not that old and that's the last "atmosphere" I want to be in.

You forgot about the people who HAVE to cruise during spring break. We're not out of our minds. We did do our homework. We sort of have to work the rest of time...

Edited by lisakoivu
spelling

You forgot about the people who HAVE to cruise during spring break. We're not out of our minds. We did do our homework. We sort of have to work the rest of time...

Exactly!! We have cruises three different times during spring break and they were all perfectly fine. Two were 7 nights and one was a 4 night. Two weeks ago was the worst I have ever seen by a long shot. We still had fun, but the lines were long, everything was crowded and I felt like a mom the entire time... especially when kids were hanging over the balcony railing and some sitting on the railing. I had to go in the cabin, I was a nervous wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you have any sympathy for the educators who can only cruise on spring break because it's our only time off? A tiny bit of research can't fix that...

Do you really need to cruise during overpriced spring break? The summer can't be worse than spring break. Sorry and I know how hard educators work so I'm not speaking about that...but you are off for many many more weeks in the summer than the average worker so why not go then. While there might be families cruising then the vast majority of college kids are working or taking summer classes etc let's say....the 3rd week of July?

If you teach but choose to teach summer school well that's your choice

If you teach but still want to cruise spring break and not any of the other weeks you have off well that's your choice

If you choose to sail spring break for any number of reasons that's your choice I'm just pointing out that you do have many more options of other weeks to cruise

Not to defend spring breakers who act like idiots but even they are usually not planning to cruise in july with their 250 best friends

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you have any sympathy for the educators who can only cruise on spring break because it's our only time off? A tiny bit of research can't fix that...

Aren't you off at Christmas. Perhaps mid winter break and for several weeks from may to sept depending on where you live?

New York schools are basically out from late June to labor day.

I don't understand why you HAVE to cruise spring break unless that's the ONLY week of the year your spouse and kids have off but for you to say that's the only week educators have off is incorrect. What you should say is as an educator who wants to cruise during the school year spring break is the only week we have off to do it.

I'm starting to lose sympathy for this "this is the only week we can cruise" argument

Flame away.

I am going to have to agree with this.. just got off the escape... i cruised last year, the same exact week. expecting the WORST (because of spring break), and it was not 1/4 as bad as this year. The whole week felt like an over priced 7 day carnival booze cruise. We love to have fun and all, and the profanities I can handle (let’s face it, my son has probably heard every word there is to hear)..but after 3-4 days of the banging on walls and doors at 2-3-4am, drunk college kids piling in elevators and spilling booze all over, yelling off of balconies all hours of the day and night , random items flying over board (thank god it wasn’t people). The bars were not what-so-ever “adult” like. Neither were the pools... it was a college dance party /“twerk off” (which would have been a blast in my 20’s. LONG lines at the bar for drinks. I know everyone deserves to have fun, my only question is WHY didn’t NCL keep their on one side - or at least put families with kids AWAY from them? One of them actually told me there were over 250 from her school alone. I felt the crew was not totally at their best - but how can they be? They all looked frustrated .. I would have been too. .

How many nights was your Escape cruise?

I'm cruising 4 night on the Sky to Cuba on April 2nd. It looks like most spring breaks are over by then, do you guys agree?

That is the week after Easter so that is the week that high school and under is off for many districts this year due to the coinciding of Easter and Passover. Most districts have the week before Easter off but this year many are off the week after...

That said....how many families do you think will be taking their kids to Cuba for a vacation?

My guess is not many

My guess is they would rather be on a 7 day cruise with several beach spots

Do you really need to cruise during overpriced spring break? The summer can't be worse than spring break. Sorry and I know how hard educators work so I'm not speaking about that...but you are off for many many more weeks in the summer than the average worker so why not go then. While there might be families cruising then the vast majority of college kids are working or taking summer classes etc let's say....the 3rd week of July?

If you teach but choose to teach summer school well that's your choice

If you teach but still want to cruise spring break and not any of the other weeks you have off well that's your choice

If you choose to sail spring break for any number of reasons that's your choice I'm just pointing out that you do have many more options of other weeks to cruise

Not to defend spring breakers who act like idiots but even they are usually not planning to cruise in july with their 250 best friends

You are correct, I could go during the summer, but after a long cold winter, it’s nice to go someplace warm in March.

You are correct, I could go during the summer, but after a long cold winter, it’s nice to go someplace warm in March.

I totally agree. It's just funny that teachers are complaining about this as though they didn't know this when they took the job

I taught at a college that was on a quarterly semester basis year round so I got exactly 1 week off every 12 weeks that was it so I traveled those weeks with no complaints

However once I felt that schedule was detrimental to my family I changed colleges for a better teaching schedule ( yes I realize this doesn't apply to high school etc teachers) and never complained about travel during spring break. On the contrary, instead of whining about it I embraced the fact that I had so much time off.

So as a teacher myself....let me shout out to my colleagues....stop whining...you sound like millennials. Lol

Edited by maggie cruises

I totally agree. It's just funny that teachers are complaining about this as though they didn't know this when they took the job

I taught at a college that was on a quarterly semester basis year round so I got exactly 1 week off every 12 weeks that was it so I traveled those weeks with no complaints

However once I felt that schedule was detrimental to my family I changed colleges for a better teaching schedule ( yes I realize this doesn't apply to high school etc teachers) and never complained about travel during spring break. On the contrary, instead of whining about it I embraced the fact that I had so much time off.

So as a teacher myself....let me shout out to my colleagues....stop whining...you sound like millennials. Lol

I am in high school, so things are not as lenient. I used to teach in a college that was on quarters and that was lovely, but we couldn't travel then because our kids were younger. Now that they are grown, it is nice to travel when there aren't thousands of kids/young adults. So, we learned our lesson and will still book next spring break (to get away from the long cold winter), but it will be a 7 day out of San Juan. At least, that is what we are looking at. The port is not driving distance from hundreds of colleges and if there are families... great!! Most of those kids do the splash academy. I hope I am assuming correct... I did do a bit of homework and it looks like we should be safe going then out of San Juan.

I am in high school, so things are not as lenient. I used to teach in a college that was on quarters and that was lovely, but we couldn't travel then because our kids were younger. Now that they are grown, it is nice to travel when there aren't thousands of kids/young adults. So, we learned our lesson and will still book next spring break (to get away from the long cold winter), but it will be a 7 day out of San Juan. At least, that is what we are looking at. The port is not driving distance from hundreds of colleges and if there are families... great!! Most of those kids do the splash academy. I hope I am assuming correct... I did do a bit of homework and it looks like we should be safe going then out of San Juan.

The only thing that might concern me is that one doesn't need a passport to fly to San Juan so I'm thinking it may be just as appealing as a Miami departure cruise. Of course airfare could be the issue.

Btw as a college junior I did go to San Juan for spring break...1978[emoji79]...and I was there to witness the famous Carl Wallenda of the Flying Wallendas attempt to walk the tightrope between 2 tall hotels in the condado beach area.

Yup I saw it all and heard the crash

I was in San Juan in Jan 2015 and took a city tour and saw the memorial walkway they erected where his tightrope was in his memory

The guide was telling the meaning of the bridge but not in the same detail I was able to provide for the tour. I guess I was the tour guide for about 10 minutes giving my 1st hand account of the incident.

Our guide was born about 10 years after the tragedy btw

The only thing that might concern me is that one doesn't need a passport to fly to San Juan so I'm thinking it may be just as appealing as a Miami departure cruise. Of course airfare could be the issue.

Btw as a college junior I did go to San Juan for spring break...1978[emoji79]...and I was there to witness the famous Carl Wallenda of the Flying Wallendas attempt to walk the tightrope between 2 tall hotels in the condado beach area.

Yup I saw it all and heard the crash

I was in San Juan in Jan 2015 and took a city tour and saw the memorial walkway they erected where his tightrope was in his memory

The guide was telling the meaning of the bridge but not in the same detail I was able to provide for the tour. I guess I was the tour guide for about 10 minutes giving my 1st hand account of the incident.

Our guide was born about 10 years after the tragedy btw

Oh my gosh!! That must have been horrible to witness.

Oh my gosh!! That must have been horrible to witness.

It was awful and 40 years later I remember it vividly. I was brought to tears when I saw they built a memorial skybridge over the street where he fell. His original tightrope is on the sky bridge I recall the guide telling us

Exactly!! We have cruises three different times during spring break and they were all perfectly fine. Two were 7 nights and one was a 4 night. Two weeks ago was the worst I have ever seen by a long shot. We still had fun, but the lines were long, everything was crowded and I felt like a mom the entire time... especially when kids were hanging over the balcony railing and some sitting on the railing. I had to go in the cabin, I was a nervous wreck.

Just a thought I had when reading through these posts.....

Why should “working adults” feel obligated to take a vacation around the crazy spring break crowd? Those who do not want to be part of it could say the same to the “college idiots” .... why not go in the summer, or during winter/Xmas break when most colleges have from December to January (usually a good month or so) off of school? It should be a happy medium. I blame the travel agents and cruise lines for not booking smarter during these “high season” months. The ship is huge, why cant they block off rooms for the colleges on the other end of the boat.... or give those that want it a preference to be away from it. It isn’t that hard to eliminate the problem. I have been traveling all of my life - been on many spring breaks in my college days. Now, as an adult In grad school, this year my spring break was the 1st week of March. My son’s “winter break” starts today the 24th. Every year, it is truly a hit or miss. Last year, we sailed March 19-26 (which is the week that my son had his winter break) and we were on a sold out ship without any issues at all - with the exception of Cozumel being a bit congested. There were also 3 or 4 ships in port at the same time (it was not a problem though). I chose to go the same week this year because quite honestly, it was about 1000.00 cheaper than the actual week of my sons spring break (which begins this week). I figured last year we had no issues on a sold out ship - so this year should be ok. We now know that if we don’t want to be around it - we will avoid cruising in the month of March (April seems to be a lot cheaper anyways).