Phantom Price Protection

salty dingo

Has anyone booking Early Save seen a lower price for their room online, called for an adjustment, and been told "Sorry, that does not apply to you?"

Just happened to me. Carnival is advertising on their website an inside cabin for $544 and we booked at $645. We booked a while ago and snagged a nice room on a higher deck. Now, only Main and Riveria decks have rooms available.

They offered to give me the advertised price and a OBC for the difference if I wanted to downgrade to the lower deck, but that was a no-go. We carefully plan our room choice and book as far ahead as possible.

I can understand why only the least desirable rooms are remaining, but it seems they do not decrease prices across the board, just for the cabins which are unsold.

I guarantee, when we booked, Main and Riviera were a lot closer in price to what we paid. Now, they have reduced the price of the unsold cabins while keeping the price of the sold cabins the same. That's a sneaky way of denying people price protection, in my opinion.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, our definition of sneaky is definitely different.

Higher decks are always more as you mentioned,so as the cruise approaches, they will always reduce the price of the cheaper lower deck cabins,because they are always harder to sell.

When you price match, you have to price match to the same category of cabin. It sounds to me like you booked for one category, upgraded to a higher category, and then want to price match to a lower category. That simply doesn't work.

I guarantee, when we booked, Main and Riviera were a lot closer in price to what we paid. Now, they have reduced the price of the unsold cabins while keeping the price of the sold cabins the same. That's a sneaky way of denying people price protection, in my opinion.

If you can guarantee it, please post proof.

So, they have reduced the price on unsold cabins lower than your category closer to sailing to unload them and you're upset you can't price match to those lower-priced cabins you didn't want at the time you booked?

If you can show the price has reduced on the category of cabin you booked (that nice room on a higher deck) and they denied your claim, you'd have a point.

However, it would appear you are complaining they reduced the price on lower-category cabins you didn't/don't want (and remain unsold) and feel cheated because they won't reduce the price on the nice one you (and everyone else if the category is sold out) booked at a time when all categories were selling for pretty much the same price.

Yeah, I get the logic there. :rolleyes:

You can only compare to cabins in your same category. And by "category" they aren't talking interior, ocean view, balcony or suites. Since you are talking interior, there are the following categories of cabins (using the Freedom as an example). 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 4F, 4G, and 4H. Cabins on the Main and Rivera Decks will be 4A, 4B and 4C (4A are fore and aft Rivera Deck; 4B are fore and aft Main Deck and Mid-ship Rivera; and 4C are Mid-ship Main Deck).

If you booked a "higher deck" (since you didn't say which higher deck let's assume the Veranda Deck - Deck 8), then you will have either a 4F (fore or aft) or 4G (mid-ship) cabin.

You can't price a 4A, 4B or 4C cabin against a 4F or 4G. They are not in the same category.

To think otherwise, you could book an interior mid-deck on Verandah Deck (4G) and immediately price-compare it to an aft interior (4A) on the Rivera Deck and ask for a reduction.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. It has to be for your room type but also catagory. So if you are in a 4D then the match has to be for 4D or better rooms. That's like saying a 4S should be price matched to a 4B. The letters are why there are varying rates. Keep watching. Maybe a OV room will be close to your price and you can upgrade to a OV room. I've seen sailing where they are close to the same price because of demand.

Ok, I get it. I just thought the price reduction may apply to all the cabins.

Looks like it's only a way to move unsold cabins. Typically people who book early are looking to reserve a nice location, and those locations will surely sell out. So no reason for Carnival to reduce the price.

I guess the price protection would help someone who booked the absolutely lowest priced cabin and didn't go for the upper decks.

I recently got a price reduction for my stateroom on Lido deck on the Conquest and received OBC when I sent in the price protection form.

Were there any cabins remaining for sale on the Lido when you did this?

In my case, there were no inside cabins available for sale anywhere above Main deck, so there was no way for me to see the current "price" of my particular cabin. Not for sale must mean there is no price. :D

We have gotten price reductions on "higher up" cabins before, but again, there has to actually be cabins available in the same category otherwise there is no price to match to. They aren't going to reduce a price on something that doesn't exist anymore. Think about it. Why would you give people money to stay where they are and already have their payment? It makes no sense.

It all depends on what cabins are left over as to what they may put on sale. If people are booking the higher up cabins right off the bat and all that's left over are lower ones, then the lower ones are going to be reduced to fill them up and vice versa. If the cheaper cabins book up first, then the higher up cabins will go on sale and you may be able to upgrade for free. That happens as well.

It's all about supply and demand. If your category is gone, then it's gone. There is no "new" pricing on something that is no longer available.

It's all about supply and demand. If your category is gone, then it's gone. There is no "new" pricing on something that is no longer available.

That's sort of true, but if I take the lower price and change my cabin, my old cabin is now available, and presumably there would then be a price because Carnival wants to sell that cabin.

So, in theory I could get the price protection OBC, change cabins, and then re-book my original cabin at the "price" it is offered at... but there is no way to know in advance what the price is. That's the sneaky part to me. Carnival knows what the price would be, but they are not saying.

That's sort of true, but if I take the lower price and change my cabin, my old cabin is now available, and presumably there would then be a price because Carnival wants to sell that cabin.

So, in theory I could get the price protection OBC, change cabins, and then re-book my original cabin at the "price" it is offered at... but there is no way to know in advance what the price is. That's the sneaky part to me. Carnival knows what the price would be, but they are not saying.

Yeah, you could, but then your cabin you have now may end up being more or only slightly less. Or by the time you cancel and rebook, someone else could have snatched it up. If you like where you're at, forget about it. Not worth the hassle.

You are making the assumption that the cabin you are in would be lower than what you paid if it opened up, it could be the case that your cabin could rise since it’s more desirable.

If you like where you're at, forget about it. Not worth the hassle.

That is precisely what I will do. If I had booked with a TA, perhaps there would be some trick they would know about, but I'm pretty much at Carnival's mercy this time.

One think I should mention is even if your category is sold out, it never hurts to look from time to time to see if a cabin in your category opens up. Happened to me about 6 weeks ago after my category had seemingly been sold out for months.

That is precisely what I will do. If I had booked with a TA, perhaps there would be some trick they would know about, but I'm pretty much at Carnival's mercy this time.

But keep checking. You never know when another one might open up allowing you to price match. If you get a good PVP next time like mine they might be able to check for you as well. Mine has done some amazing things.

One think I should mention is even if your category is sold out, it never hurts to look from time to time to see if a cabin in your category opens up. Happened to me about 6 weeks ago after my category had seemingly been sold out for months.

Especially right after the final payment date for your cruise. Any rooms that are not paid off could open up.

Keep an eye on the prices for your cruise as you get closer too. You also may be able to upgrade to a different type of room for next to nothing. One cruise, for one day, I was able to upgrade from an interior to a balcony for $25. The prices on the balconies went right back up the next day.

I do miss the Fare Viewer for checking category pricing. It just made it so much easier to keep an eye on the pricing for your category.

But keep checking. You never know when another one might open up allowing you to price match. If you get a good PVP next time like mine they might be able to check for you as well. Mine has done some amazing things.

I will... have not been doing that but must start.

Also, I have not been using a PVP, and there's no reason not to. Live and learn.

I do have the perfect room location and am thankful for that. Just would be nice to have a little OBC to sweeten the deal.

You're not at Carnival's mercy, it's Carnival's "Policy" to price match exact categories.

Nothing more, nothing less.

For our first cruise two years ago, we booked through a TA (who did the price protection work for us) and we ended up saving around $75/person.

This time around we didn't use a TA. I just submitted an online claim for our June cruise less than a month ago and it was approved. Saved us $35/person so far. With just over two and a half months to go, who knows, it may go down more. So no, I don't think TA's know any price protection tricks and I don't think there's anything sneaky about what you experienced. Like others have said, you're trying to compare different room categories.

You can only compare to cabins in your same category. And by "category" they aren't talking interior, ocean view, balcony or suites. Since you are talking interior, there are the following categories of cabins (using the Freedom as an example). 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 4F, 4G, and 4H. Cabins on the Main and Rivera Decks will be 4A, 4B and 4C (4A are fore and aft Rivera Deck; 4B are fore and aft Main Deck and Mid-ship Rivera; and 4C are Mid-ship Main Deck).

If you booked a "higher deck" (since you didn't say which higher deck let's assume the Veranda Deck - Deck 8), then you will have either a 4F (fore or aft) or 4G (mid-ship) cabin.

You can't price a 4A, 4B or 4C cabin against a 4F or 4G. They are not in the same category.

To think otherwise, you could book an interior mid-deck on Verandah Deck (4G) and immediately price-compare it to an aft interior (4A) on the Rivera Deck and ask for a reduction.

Good explanation, a lot of people don't understand about the sub categories because Carnival does not particularly explain or go into detail about that on their site. It's been years, but I like the way the site was set up in the past that clearly stated each individual subcategory along with the prices for each. I wish they would go back to that.