Dream late leaving 3-18-18

pattdavid

I was on this sailing and they told us we was delayed because of river traffic but it did not change our port arrival times. They also gave everyone in my family $12 and some change in port fee refunds so I wasn't sad about not leaving on time. lol. That was almost $50 unexpected free money

I was on this sailing and they told us we was delayed because of river traffic but it did not change our port arrival times. They also gave everyone in my family $12 and some change in port fee refunds so I wasn't sad about not leaving on time. lol. That was almost $50 unexpected free money

The port fee refunds have nothing do with leaving port late. The port fees you pay at booking are just estimates. The port fees that Carnival actually pays are a mixed cost (partly a fixed cost per ship/sailing and partly based on the number of passengers who actually sail), so they don't know the total cost and number of passengers to allocate it to until the day of sailing. Carnival reserves the right to collect additional port fees on the ship if the actual costs are more than you paid with your reservation, but they tend overestimate so you generally wind up getting a small refund as OBC to your S&S.

The port fee refunds have nothing do with leaving port late. The port fees you pay at booking are just estimates. The port fees that Carnival actually pays are a mixed cost (partly a fixed cost per ship/sailing and partly based on the number of passengers who actually sail), so they don't know the total cost and number of passengers to allocate it to until the day of sailing. Carnival reserves the right to collect additional port fees on the ship if the actual costs are more than you paid with your reservation, but they tend overestimate so you generally wind up getting a small refund as OBC to your S&S.

This was my second cruise and I either didn't notice or didn't get any back on my first cruise so I just assumed it was from sailing late. Thanks for the info.