Pre and Post Hawaii - advice needed

uktog

Have a booking on the Summit for 28 Oct and have just managed a good upgrade deal with BA but this means we will arrive in LA on 26 Oct and whilst we dock on 11 Nov, we will not fly out until 14 Nov. So now I have a list of questions- have searched the other pre cruise board but cannot find the right answers.

Where in LA would you stay pre cruise. I am thinking of somehere quite smart, (at least 4 star) safe that would give us a base for a day of sightseeing on a tour of LA. Think I would prefer to stay in LA than Long Beach.

Am thinking of hiring a car when we return. Where would you go for the 3 nights - San Diego, Palm Springs have been suggested - are they easy drives. I have read that driving into LAX is not enjoyable so do either of these or some other place give us a simple drive - we are used to driving on the other side of the road. Again any hotel suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

AJ

We've been fortunate to live in both Southern California & Hawaii, and I'm sure you'll love both places. When in L.A. pre-cruise, I would recommend staying somewhere in Marina del Rey. There are many fashionable hotels and restaurants there, with easy access to the airport and downtown. If you are interested in the entertainment industry (visiting studios and seeing TV shows filmed), then I'd suggest staying in the Burbank/Universal area. A little farther from LAX than Marina del Rey, but safe and fun.

When you return to California after your Hawaiian cruise, another option would be Santa Barbara. It's a charming town and probably less crowded than San Diego would be. If you prefer not to drive, there are frequent flights from LAX to any of the cities you are considering.

Hope you'll find the Californians to be as friendly as we found the Londoners on our last trip to the UK.

Thanks CC I had been looking at Marina del Rey as I could see a reasonable deal there. HAd not thought of Santa Barbara, will look at that. We will not do internal flights as our luggage will be over limit, we got caught that way last year as we forgot our generous BA baggage allowances would not meet the US rules.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Archived