Lirica 12/17-12/27/05

venicecruiser

Nitnyleo

Just some further clarification regarding the European experience....

As a child (from 1964-1976) I sailed on the Italian Line every summer to visit my relatives in Italy. Although I don't remember the first few trips, I do have excellent memories of the last trips. Stepping aboard one of these ships was like being in Italy - perhaps it was due to the all Italian crew, but there was most definitely an "Italianness" about it.

Although times have changed quite a bit since then, there is still a difference in North American and European attituddes. Food, cocktails, coffee - totally different from the North American perspective. The concept of a "bucket of beer" is just not something Italians would understand, just like an after dinner Grappa is not something that the majority of North Americans would appreciate.

So yes, even a bar menu with a variety of Grappas on it will add to the European experience.

Cheers

There were movies on the TV in 4 or 5 languages, I think German, English, French, Spanish. If they were in Italian I wouldnt know since I dont speak the language and to me Spanish and Italian sound similar. And since there is no guide to what is on the TV and what language is offered I have no idea but I am thinking your question is more about "older" Italian movies??? If so, the answer is no, all the movies were modern day new out of TV movies

As far as Italian lessons, I was very disappointed that there was only one day that was offered out of 11 days. On my Opera cruise last year they had them daily and not only was it educational but the entertainment team made it alot of fun.

Music in the lounges were mixed, some Italian music as well as English, depended on the band, all were from Italy but I dont remember a whole lot of Volare or Quando,Quando,Quando played, seemed more modern day Italian music. I heard it once in a while but not often. But maybe in other lounges I was not in??? Maybe someone else can answer that one for you.

Quando, Quando Quando...

Cindee, don't forget you HAVE to say it 3 times or you don't get your pirate bandana... (Libby wanted one). We, too, were disappointed that the only "Italian lesson" was done once and seemed like it was combined with a dance class. Was surprised that there was only one exercise class offered for free, otherwise there was a $10 charge. The ship offered (actually the spa) a "free" 10 min. Balinese massage during specific hours and with "ressie" but if you went up to Spa to inquire you were taken on the spot. Was longer than 10 minutes and we wanted to tip but only had our room key, wanted to "charge" the tip to room but were declined. BTW, there was a lovely "relaxation room" in the bow area next to the gym (which I was pleasantly surprised with considering the size of the ship).One thing is for sure, there wasn't a lack of spots to relax in on the Lirica.

Was the trip "that awful"? (I know your answer and am teasing you).

As far as the movies on the tv, they were of the offerings from the airlines, a different one each day though each offering was done on different days in a different language. Robots each day, once in French, Italian, German and English.

I was hoping for a more Italian influence in the diningroom. I found the menu a bit confusing with the listings (appetizers, entrees, etc. were listed on both sides of menu and sometimes we weren't sure if items were the pasta or entree course). If you stuck with the Italian listings or alternative steak you were ok... my only gripe was on the second "formal night" they didn't have the alternative offerings (steak, salmon or cesear salad) which made it a bit difficult with the kids. Our original waiter didn't realize that there WAS a childrens menu and we kept asking for it.. the supervisor told us there wasn't one either. But when we switched we found out otherwise.. guess it was "lost in translation".

Would we go on MSC again... maybe. If you do plan on traveling with MSC you need to have very realistic expections. I think that probably helped us.

Carolyn

Got our docs for our MSC Lirica cruise. In the MSC Crociere book (Welcome Aboard) it shows Dinner in the Restaurant as 7 & 9PM. Is that correct or did they change it for the Caribbean cruises? Happy New Year to You All!

Oxo

for 12/17 sailing it was 6 and 8:15PM... ran on time.

Shows for each sailing was after dinner. Hopefully Paolo is more enthusiastic etc. with less kids on board. Say HI to Elena, Mauro, Sara, Francesca and Diego for us.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I totally forgot about the "Name that Tune" game where I won all that MSC logo stuff. I have more wallets and bandanas then I know what to do with LOL. OK, so yes, Volare and Quando,Quando,Quando was definitly played onboard, at that game:rolleyes:

I also liked that relaxation room but it seemed everytime I would really get into my book someone opened the door from the gym and the music was blaring and distracted me, but it truly is a wonderful area to relax and read, perhaps not on a sea day though, on a day when the rest of the ship is off exploring an island I have been to before. I used it in Nassau since it was Boxing Day and everything in town was closed.

Tony found the childrens menu on Day 2 and ordered off it almost everyday. The Spinach and Ricotta Manicotti was excellet and the chicken fingers tasted just like his mothers breaded chicken cutlets, we even made our own chicken parm, asked for some tomato sauce and cheese on the side and it was excellent, by the 3rd night amlmost everyone at our table and around us was doing the same thing LOL

Awful??? Nope, not awful. No cruise is ever awful, after all I get away from phones, fax machines etc and I dont have to cook and clean. And while some of the food wasnt my taste or wasnt great, I certainly never really went hungry. A cruise is what you make it, I had a good book and magazines, slept in, took naps, for us it was very relaxing

Ok fellow cruisers If you like European style Cruises sail on MSC quickly as Rick Sasso has taken over the US cruise dept and he will make it like the mass market due to so many complaints from people who want the Mass Market cruizin style. They will slowly introduce the mass market items. We have been in the cruise business for 22 years I remember Costa used to be European BUT changed and now it is mass market unless you sail in Europe with them. The new MSC ships will be just any other with a Italian flair. Then they will leave the smaller ships over there and have the BIG ones here year round most likely. I am sure the people who enjoy MSC now are a little more adventous and like to try different things.

Well we will be on the 1/13/2007 sailing 11 days this time

Cocktails at 5:00

One thing is for sure, there wasn't a lack of spots to relax in on the Lirica.

I was hoping for a more Italian influence in the diningroom. I found the menu a bit confusing with the listings (appetizers, entrees, etc. were listed on both sides of menu and sometimes we weren't sure if items were the pasta or entree course). If you stuck with the Italian listings or alternative steak you were ok... my only gripe was on the second "formal night" they didn't have the alternative offerings (steak, salmon or cesear salad) which made it a bit difficult with the kids. Our original waiter didn't realize that there WAS a childrens menu and we kept asking for it.. the supervisor told us there wasn't one either. But when we switched we found out otherwise.. guess it was "lost in translation".

Would we go on MSC again... maybe. If you do plan on traveling with MSC you need to have very realistic expections. I think that probably helped us.

Carolyn

I also enjoyed the relaxation room on Sinfonia.

However, as an Italian, I found the menu to be wonderful! I was able to have proscuitto each morning in the dining room, along with mozzarella di buffala.

I enjoyed rabbit, tripe, osso buco, polenta at lunch and wonderful risottos at dinner.

I enjoyed the nightly wine tastings where I was able to enjoy a great Brunello for 5 euro a glass, along with a nice, sharp cheese.

I enjoyed a carafe of house red at lunch and dinner.

And the coffee was excellent!

To me, this is an Italian cruise.

Caviar Girl

I just read your menu descriptions - I am Italian by background, and yes it is all the familiar foods I ate growing up - I was eating polenta long before it became trendy. It sounds just like what I am looking for (leaving on March11th)

Another thing, I was on the travel agent website a while back, and noticed several types that are not available in North America - at least not in Canada. This past summer in Italy I discovered a red wine - rifosco - that I had never heard of before. MSC carries a Friuli Rifosco (the province from which my parents come), and I was very excited. Between the Aperol and the Rifosco, it should be a very pleasant cruise. Any tips?

Cheers!!!

However, as an Italian, I found the menu to be wonderful! I was able to have proscuitto each morning in the dining room, along with mozzarella di buffala.

I enjoyed rabbit, tripe, osso buco, polenta at lunch and wonderful risottos at dinner.

I enjoyed the nightly wine tastings where I was able to enjoy a great Brunello for 5 euro a glass, along with a nice, sharp cheese.

I enjoyed a carafe of house red at lunch and dinner.

And the coffee was excellent!

To me, this is an Italian cruise.

Just so you know, most of the items you mentioned were not available on the Lirica, there was proscuitto here and there but I never saw it for breakfast, saw it mostly on the Gala buffet. They did offer assorted meats in the dining room for breakfast but when I ordered it it was salami, ham and looked like some assorted cold cuts but no proscuitto.

Never saw rabbit, tripe, osso boco, buffalo mozzeralla at all.

There was a risotto offered at every dinner, I ordered every single one, the only one that was cooked correctly was a wonderful risotto with pears and cheese , otherwise they were all hard and over cooked.

I am not a wine drinker so cant comment on the wine, however I dont recall any "tastings" at dinner but someone else who drinks wine might have more knowledge than I.

I was told the coffee served in the buffet and dining room was not Italian coffee, to me it tasted like pure mud, however the coffee ordered in the coffee bar was Italian and excellent but there was a charge for anything ordered there.

I have to disagree about the risottos. I ordered a small portion almost every night and they were perfectly cooked as well as delicious.

Also, we had proscuitto with melon or fresh mozzerella almost every night in the dining room as an appetizer. We just asked for it........

As to the coffee, both of us loved it!

Claudia

Cindee,

Noticed the bocacini mozzerella in the buffet at lunch (marinated) almost every day, until the last days at sea... guess they were running low and then fresh at the gala buffets. We also ordered the rissotos every evening and aside from the first evening (a bit of a bite to the rice) the rice was well cooked... though after a few days it started to "taste the same" (that sometimes happens on cruiselines anyway we have found).

Venicecruiser... guess it was the "luck of the draw" when ordering "off the menu" in the diningroom. Since we were struggling with the original waiter to "just get our order correct" ... albeit being VERY patient... always smiling, pleases and thank yous every time anything was served (most times we'd only receive about 60% of what we ordered) we didn't have the "courage" to ask for anything that wasn't listed on the menu. We've done this before with RCCL and since there's been a somewhat "decline" there the requests have been received with mixed reaction (nothing "out of ordinary or over the top extravagancy mind you) asking for shrimp cocktail as appy... and told by the dinigroom supervisor at a Plat.Diamond Cocktail hour that these can't be handlled on a regular basis.

Caviargirl, I wish the menu had a few more "authentic" Italian offerings. Most of my family was up for the experience and we never had the opportunity at lunchtime ... the menu had mainstream offerings then in the diningroom. When something did sound "authentic" at dinner we did jump to try it and most times were pleased with the offerings. My only "true gripe" with MSC's diningroom is the lack of large tables for nuclear families traveling who'd like to share a table with another. This isn't possible for a family of 4 to share with another. Luckily my kids are at an age and this cruise's emphasis was on spending "quality family time" so this wasn't a deal breaker, though we might have looked forward to dinnertime.

Cindee, How's the house coming along? Did you get the gummies?

Carolyn

We were on the December 17th Lirica sailing. After reading all the postings I thought I would also contribute.

This was our very first cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed it! We had no idea what to expect, thus we went with an open mind.

Embarkation and disembarkation were easy... it took longer for us to get through the airport in Toronto than both of these processes combined.

Cabin and cabin staff were great! Yes, the shower is a bit small... funny thing is after a few days, it didn’t seem that small anymore. Patricia, our cabin attendant was GREAT!

Food... no complaints! I come from an Italian background and many of the dishes and desserts reminded me of my childhood. We chose to eat in the dining room for all three meals (not buffet people) and I can’t think of anything that wasn’t good. The cheeses became a quick favorite. My husband enjoyed the goose, duck and frog's legs. A couple of times the fish dishes were a bit dry. Our server was George... we loved George! (Carolyn’s family was seated next to us in the beginning.) He was a definitely a new kid on the block and did not know a whole lot, but his eagerness to learn and accommodate made up for it all. By the end of the cruise, George had it down pretty good and all at the table gave him an additional tip for putting up with us!

Entertainment. Well this is something that needs help! Some of the shows were down right TERRIBLE! The MC was not a favorite... totally full of himself. The dancers and singers... on occasion very painful to watch and listen to. However, the “clown” acts (ventriloquist, acrobat, etc.) were very entertaining. The music in the lounges was okay... nothing special. (As I said, this was our first cruise and I'm not sure what the "norm" is for entertainment... having nothing to compare it to, I may be way off by saying it was terrible!?)

We had a great time... entertainment and all... would do it again tomorrow!

Greeners,

I didn't know you were "from the boards" when we were sitting next to you. (Unless you didn't want to talk we us <lol>) Hope the kidlets weren't too disruptive to you. We really missed Bruno when we moved our table and time. We really were meant for late seating now that Libby's a bit older and there was no kids program for either to rush off to.

This cruise was a great "taste" for you to get to know cruising.

Regards,

Carolyn

Want to thank all of you who have provided us with the valuable information regarding the Lirica. It seems as if MSC changed some things for the Caribbean cruise verses the European cruises.

I do have another question regarding the wine at dinner time.

Do they still offer the 1/2 craft of wine for $7.00? What are the options for wine at dinner?

Thank you!

Marty,

Unless it's a holiday sailing MSC offers VERY LITTLE for kids over 8 years old and what's offered is glorified daycare. We sailed on Lirica 12/17 sailing and there were quite alot of kids since it was a Xmas sailing. The ship wasn't prepared for the sheer number of kids and after a few days they did offer a little bit of activites for kids over 8 from around 3-5PM.. board games etc. If you're taking children I'd make sure that you're getting a good rate for them and that they're not "high maintenance". Our had been on many cruises prior (8 and 10 cruises between the 9 year old and 13 yo) and they were content with the pool, some board games, foosball and playing mini golf and ping pong. We were aware what to expect before we boarded, got a decent rate, were not depending on the ship to be the sole source of entertainment for the kids and wanted this cruise to be "quality family time". That's what we got and for that we weren't disappointed. We boarded with realistic expectations.

Good luck with your decision.

Carolyn

I was on the New Year's cruise and it was Paolo's last cruise on Lirica. He is going to another MSC ship!!

But I enjoyed the ship. It had many beautiful bars and clubs to go to. Our dining staff was excellent and we liked everything we ate. And between the four of us we did eat.

Wini

• 2 weeks later...

My review of our October Mediterranean cruise is posted in the review section. I won't repeat what I said there, but even allowing for differences between the Mediterreanean and the Caribbean, it is easy to understand that people will have widely varying opinions on this ship. To sum up, I really enjoyed the crew and staff on the Lirica (we had a different (British) cruise director who did not give offense to anyone). Our cabin attendant and our waiters were very attentive and we enjoyed getting to know them very much. We also took this ship because of the itinerary and spent relatively few hours on board since we were in port every day. The European ambience and the mostly European cruise passengers also added to our enjoyment.

Although very clean, this ship really can't compare to many of the newer ships in the Caribbean that have many more bells and whistles. Having taken another cruise on the Century during the holidays, I must admit that it can't compare to that ship, which isn't new or to any of the Celebrity ships. I imagine they have better beef purveyors in Florida than they used in the Mediterranean, but the quality of the food and the variety on the menu can't stack up either.

I guess the main message is "do your homework." I spent a lot of time reading about Lirica before cruising and I was prepared for the cruise experience, both positive and negative. If you board the Lirica expecting it to be at the level of its Caribbean competition (or those same cruise lines in the Med), you will probably be disappointed. If you board with an open mind, fore-warned about the food and the ship's amenities, you will probably find some wonderful people and some positive surprises. If you read my review, you will see that I really enjoyed my cruise and would try the Lirica again given the right itinerary and the right price.

Archived