Funchal Review To Egypt????? Part 1.

seabourndt

I Recently Travelled On The Funchal From Pireaus To Freemantle,australia. Unfortunatly We Only Made It To Safaga As The Port Engine's Piston Broke After Leaving Aqaba.

Here Is An Outline Of The Ship And Its Facilities;

Accomadation.

My Cabin Which Was A Shared Outside Cabin On Algarve Deck. Was Quite A Large Cabin With 2 Single Beds Devided By A Small Chest Of Drawers. Anotherr Pull Down Bed Could Be Made As A Third Berth But Was Not Used On This Trip. There Was Not Really Enough Drawer Space For 2 People On This Long A Voyage. The Wardrobe Was Just Big Enouth, The Bathroom Had A Small Shower And A Sink. For Some Reason My Steward Was Not Expecting Me As I Had A Lot Of Things Missing; Telephone,chair,towels,soaps Etc... He Apologised To Me And Brought All These Things Straight Away.

Embarkation.

I Arriveed By Taxi To The Cruise Terminal, Unfortunatly Our Ship Was Not Berthed There! Which Was A Bit Strange As There Was A Vacant Berth There? So After Filling In Forms, Putting Luggage In, Then After Taking Our Picture We Had To Wait Quite A While On The Bus To Get To Our Ship On The Whalf. After Going Up The Gangway I Was Shown To My Cabin.

Food.

The Food Was Really For A Small Ship, Only At Lunch Was There Only 1 Choice Of The 1st 2 Courses Appetisers And The Soup. There Was Special Nights Which As Usual Were Only A Hint Of That Country! Afternoon Tea Was Buffet Style Helping Yourself To Cakes, Sandwiches And Tea Or Coffee. No Midnight Buffet No Midnight Snack Everynight Around The Lounges.

Entertaiment.

As We Were In Port A Lot Of The Time We Did Not Get The Chance Tro See Much Variety. Just Seeing The Dancers Once And The Magician Likewise. They Were Very Good, As Were The Band. The Rest Of The Nights In Port Were Either Films,karaoke, Or Quiz Nights.

Now For The Cruise.

Sun 13th Nov.

After Checking In At Gatwick Airport For The Easyjet Flight To Athens. Finding I Was 9kg Over The Limit Plus Charging Me £45 Extra. The 3 Hours Flight Was Good Getting A Few Refreshments Onboard Which I Had To Pay For! Arriving At Athens I Found The Bus To Pireaus Where My Hotel Was. After Unpacking I Had A Walk Around The Harbour. No Sign Of The Ship As That Time But A Cruiseship "thompson Destiny" Was There. I Was On This Ship Some Years Ago As The "song Of America" Of Rccl.

Mon 14th Nov.

After Breakfast Found The Ship Along The Whalf, Then After Going To The Acropolis By Train I Got A Taxi To My Hotel. Unfortunatly After Picking Up Some Other Passengers He Did Not Know Where The Hotel Was. Finally Found It And After Picking Up My Luggage Went To The Cruise Terminal. Boarded The Bus To The Ship, And Was Shown To My Cabin. I Went To The Show Lounge To Get My Ding Room Table Numbers So I Would Get One With The Other 2 Couples I Met On Cruise Critic. The 1st Dinner One Of The Other Couples Were Put On The Wrong Table. So There Was Only 3 Of Us On The Table. Our Dining Room Waiter Was Daniel From Roumania. I Think He And My Cabin Steward Shared A Cabin. After A Nice 1st Dinner Went To The Show, Which Was Just A Get To Know The Entertainers. Ido Light To Smoke A Cigar After The Show.unfortunatly There Is No Smoking Lounge And Only Small Cigars! And Cigarettes Are Allowed In The Smoking Areas Inside. So It Was Outside It Was Quite Cold This Night!

End Of Part 1.

Archived