R & S vs Vista

wcolucci

Hi All,

We're going Jan 22 on the Westerdam. We've sailed twice before, once on the Maasdam...loved it, and once on the Zaandam, loved it too...

I've gleaned a bit of info from these pots about the differences between the R/S and the Vista...such as the suites are smaller, (SA in our case), not as intimate as the older smaller ships and just too big for a HAL experience.

We're bringing our 15 month old daughter w/ us so it will be a totally different cruise for us to begin with but I am starting to, I guess dread is too strong a word, but maybe question wheter a Vista was the right move for us.

I am particularly concerned about my wifes reaction to a smaller cabin when we get there, especially w/ a crib and high chair...how much smaller is it than an R/S suite? Not just s/footage but "feel"..if that can be explained.

I am easy to please and I'm sure we'll enjoy but I really loved the Maasdam. Guess I'm getting the less than 4 week to go jitters

The biggest difference we found between the suites of the R and S and Vista class ships is the midship's verandahs are much smaller on the Vista class ships. The room itself isn't that much smaller. It is not as wide. There are more closets and very few drawers. We just made one of the closets all shelves for everything.

You could always have the room steward remove one of the chairs to make room for the crib.

The bathroom is bigger because there are 2 sinks and a separate shower.

I will add just a bit to KK, while the bathroom is a bit bigger the dressing area is a bit smaller and does not have the small sink in the dressing area. We like the bit larger dressing area with the sink because while DH is in the bathroom I can be getting ready in the dressing area. If the sink in the dressing area was no big deal to you then you will not find much difference other than the balcony size. The cabin itself is really not that much smaller:) I am sure you will still really enjoy.

There are pros and cons to each, imo - personally, I liked the decor of the Zuiderdam Suite vs. the Suite on Volendam, but the balcony on Volendam could not be matched.

As Lisa mentions, the dressing area seemed much smaller on the Zuiderdam, and we liked the overall layout of the cabin better on the Volendam - it did seem to be more spacious. The sofa seemed longer too.

One thing for certain, we just loved the bathroom on the Zuiderdam, much more than the one on the Volendam - it seemed to be much more spacious.

I will be curious to see how the SA on Noordam compares to the others.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with a Suite on any of the existing ships. :) I hope you have a great trip!

Archived