11am PAT - once you're on board question - (Med Magic June 2018)

CanuckonaBoat

I am traveling on the Magic in June from Barcelona to Rome. 7 nights.

I'm trying to get a sense of the situation on board if you're one of the earlier groups to board. Is it going to be mayhem already?

We plan on going straight to the pool area to get a table to have lunch and let the kids swim. Will we have a problem getting a table? Will the area already be over run?

I might change plans if it's too crazy up there.

We did Alaska last time and because of the temperature - no one was running to the pool on embarkation day.

My experience from 6 DCL cruises is it takes some time to get really busy. There may be difficulty getting a table in Cabanas (the buffet) itself depending on the time, but usually the tables on deck near the pool are amongst the last to go.

If you are in one of the early boarding groups and go upstairs, you can claim a table and get lunch rather easily. Depending on your trust level, you can put your stuff on a table and all go thru the buffet or leave one person at the table to guard your stuff while the rest get food....then when someone returns, send the remaining person to the buffet. Cabins will be ready at 1:30, so at that time you can send someone downstairs with your stuff and not have to watch it any longer.

Boarding time in Barcelona varies...or it has on my departures. We'e had boarding start at 11:15, much as one expects at Canaveral. Other times it has not started till well after 12. Bottom line, arrive at your PAT WITH the booklet that they will send you (the one with the luggage tags). We were advised in advance to have this available for embarkation and they were checking that you had one before being allowed to enter the terminal--just another layer of security, I think. Those who arrived without it were diverted to another location and were delayed in entering. But do be prepared to wait (they had hundreds of chairs set up.)

ARe they also requesting us to bring our booklets at Port Canaveral or only on the European cruises?

The only place I've been asked to show the booklet was in Barcelona. We've boarded in Dover---not needed there. I don't even remember if it was each time in Barcelona, but it was definitely a couple times. We WERE told in advance that we'd need it. I think it was part of the terminal security--you couldn't enter the terminal till they verified the DCL booklet and name on your passport.