Jacksonville tide

carriebr

Yes it is true

The river at high tide prevents ships from passing safely under bridge close to terminal

If high tide stay in cabin to avoid falling debris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only in extreme circumstances! We have never been delayed due to the tide! Yes, if a hurricane on large Nor'Easter is offshore, the ST. Johns will rise.....but it is not very often.

The only falling debris is from posts like this! ^^^

I have fished the St. John’s for year

The tide can vary 5-6 feet without nor Easter or hurricane

Of course I was just joking before but it can be a problem

The cruise line takes this into consideration planning arrivals and departures

I believe the statement is true but maybe the context is misplaced

currently, unless I'm mistaken, only Carn' is operating out of Jax and using some of their oldest ships - also smallest ships.

while these ships do not have an issue with height versus the bridge, larger ships might.

When a port has a bridge between the sea and the terminal, vertical clearance can be an issue. I know this IS an issue at New Orleans and Tampa where bridge clearance limits how large of a ship can visit (Tampa) or how far up river a terminal can be (NO).

I have not pulled out my charts for Jax but note that the shipyards I knew 20 years go further upriver from the bridge are for the most part closed. Because today's larger customers can't get there???? IMO the business decision to but the Jax terminal where it is was seriously flawed ....

I heard the cruise ships leaving Jacksonville have to leave during low tide , is this true? Does it cause problems?

Thx

There are a handful of times of the year where the high tide is naturally high that there isn't enough clearance between the Dames Point Bridge and the top of the ships funnel for it to pass. Also, sometimes weather conditions will push enough water back up the river that the high tide will bring too small a clearance. However. the predictions on status info is pretty well done so the ships captain should be pretty confident on clearance, even if it looks close from the ship.

Info can be found here: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports/ports.html?id=8720376&mode=show_all

I have fished the St. John’s for year

The tide can vary 5-6 feet without nor Easter or hurricane

Of course I was just joking before but it can be a problem

The cruise line takes this into consideration planning arrivals and departures

I live on the Trout River. If the St. Johns tide rises so does mine! Nor'Easters, Hurricanes. etc...tides are only 3-5' higher during those times.....:):) "Maybe on a full moon, but rarely....:confused: IIRC, the Elation has a clearance around 6-7', even at high tide. It looks at lot closer, when passing under the bridge though...

I'd be more concerned about driving over the Dames Point during high winds, than high tides while passing under it.