HAL's In House Agents

dag144

Thee was a recent thread which, while not about HAL's agents, elicited many comments about these agents. I recently got one who was quite knowledgeable but did not alert me to some benefits. I discovered this benefit and called to have it added to my booking. I learned from this fellow the difference between a regular agent and a Personal Cruise Consultant. The Personal Cruise Consultants solicit business directly for HAL. They must get payment (partially) through commissions. The other agents assist people with their bookings..While they can be good, they do not get compensation directly from bookings. That is why they don't give out their direct extensions. They receive extensive training from HAL. When it is on line training and conference set up with telephone and internet I don't know. I imagine that they work out of their own homes probably part time. I am not sure how the PCA's work location wise.

I believe the same arrangements are employed by the major internet agencies. No longer do these mass agents work from a central location where they can interact with associates and supervisors face to face.

Since I have cruise almost 60 times and am very familiar with three lines, I have no problem booking with these. However, if I book with a line that I have never used, I try to do as much research as I have the time for. Pity the first timer who must make decisions regarding cruise insurance, if he even knows about it.

An alternative is to use a local agent face to face or a truly full service travel agency. They do exist even in 2018.