MSC newbie - a few questions

wikoffclan

Never experienced MSC before. (The low single supplement won me over).

I have many questions and so am hoping more experienced MSC'ers can help me out:

1) I think Carnival Platinum will get me Status match to Gold on MSC - True? RCCL Platinum gets me Silver?

2) Is it true no bottle of wine allowed when boarding?

3) Are there drink vouchers to buy onboard or only the packages?

4) I don't understand the apparent need to settle your account on the last day. Can someone explain?

5) As a single with assigned late seating, will I be placed at a large table? Of couples? Other singles? Do I have a choice?

6) What do they do with liquor bought at ports?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions. I'm SO looking forward to this cruise and the adventure of trying a new Cruise line. Your help is much appreciated, Ann

2) Is it true no bottle of wine allowed when boarding?

You're not allowed to bring wine on board.

6) What do they do with liquor bought at ports?

They collect it and deliver it to your stateroom on the list evening on board.

I have many questions and so am hoping more experienced MSC'ers can help me out:

1) I think Carnival Platinum will get me Status match to Gold on MSC - True? RCCL Platinum gets me Silver? I'm not sure on either answer

2) Is it true no bottle of wine allowed when boarding? True

3) Are there drink vouchers to buy onboard or only the packages? Both are available to purchase on board, but you will pay an extra 15% service charge as well

4) I don't understand the apparent need to settle your account on the last day. Can someone explain? If you register to pay by credit card there is no need to settle your account. When paying by CC You will receive an invoice (2 copies), you sign one and leave it in the cabin assuming all is correct.

otherwise you have to go to guest relations (GR)and settle your account, or if there is a mistake you will also have to queue at GR.

5) As a single with assigned late seating, will I be placed at a large table? Of couples? Other singles? Do I have a choice? If you are Bella you will have little choice if any.

If you are Fantastica you can make a request but it may not be granted, you have to queue to see the Maitre D' on the first day to make your request.

In all probability you will be seated at a larger table with other guests

If you are Aurea you will have a free choice

6) What do they do with liquor bought at ports? The policy is to confiscate it from you, take care of it for you and return it to you on the last night

I'm sure I'll have many more questions. I'm SO looking forward to this cruise and the adventure of trying a new Cruise line. Your help is much appreciated, Ann

Hope this helps

Here is the information from the regarding payment of onboard accounts from the UK web site "useful information"

After embarking and collecting the Cruise Card for your stateroom, you should activate it for onboard purchases by self-registering your credit/debit/prepaid card at one of the Cruise Card Activation Points. You can do this independently, at any time from embarkation until 11:00pm the following day, at any of the Cruise Card Activation Points located around the ship. These new devices let you register your card simply, rapidly and securely. Please note that you will be asked to enter the PIN number. Alternatively, you can leave cash deposit at the Reception – Guest Service.

You can settle your final bill in any of the following three ways:

• by credit card
    The following credit cards are accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners, JCB, Discover and American Express.
    If you choose to pay by credit card, your account will be closed automatically at the end of the cruise, so there is no need to go to the Reception – Guest Service.
  • by debit or prepaid card
    You should make sure that your debit/prepaid card is enabled for use abroad.
    The following debit cards are accepted: Maestro, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, MasterCard debit.
    Any amount debited to your card and not spent during your cruise will be reimbursed in cash at the Reception - Guest Service on the final morning before disembarkation.
  • in cash
    Any amount deposited in cash and not spent during the cruise will be reimbursed in cash at the Reception - Guest Service on the final morning before disembarkation.

Please note that personal checks are not accepted.

Hope this is clear for you

Pete

when you state this:

by debit or prepaid card

You should make sure that your debit/prepaid card is enabled for use abroad.

The following debit cards are accepted: Maestro, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, MasterCard debit.

Any amount debited to your card and not spent during your cruise will be reimbursed in cash at the Reception - Guest Service on the final morning before disembarkation.

how much money do they take from your account??

3) Are there drink vouchers to buy onboard or only the packages? Both are available to purchase on board, but you will pay an extra 15% service charge as well

Not True, MSC no longer sells drink vouchers onboard. You may receive vouchers with a Fantastica package or you may purchase a drink package but discounted vouchers are no longer for sale.

Not True, MSC no longer sells drink vouchers onboard. You may receive vouchers with a Fantastica package or you may purchase a drink package but discounted vouchers are no longer for sale.

I stand corrected

Pete