Hawking Drinks Pool side?

cfprunner

Recently I wrote that when we were Carnival--years ago--we were always bothered by waiters selling the drink of the day: 'You keep su-bo-near gwass'.

I was told that this happens on X now too. Are the waiters really going around and selling pre-made drinks?

I think that a lot of the "pushiness" has gone away for many of the people who work around the pool area. I recall that 10 years ago, every 15 seconds or so (or so it seemed) that a waiter or waitress was trying to get me to order a drink. Most recently, I have had to go looking for them when I want one. The exception does seem to be that first day at sail-away.

I cruised Carnival one year for the New Year thing and was told on the first night that they might not have brought enough bubbly on board and that I should reserve a bottle right away. I did. And then about 11:15 p.m. on December 31, cases and cases of bubbly seemed to appear from who know where. I never got caught in that trap again, thank you!

Jim

1. I am not making fun of them. That is what I heard. I am not suggesting their accents are funny. I do believe that when I last cruised Carnival that the bar staff was, in general very monolingual.

2. "people who work so hard to wait on you" Actually, if I ordered a drink from them, they are waiting on me, if I am taking a nap pool side and they wake me up and ask me if I want to buy something that was formally known as a a frozen drink, they are not much different than the taxi drivers and t-shirt vendors that try to sell you a product or service the second you step off the dock.

if I am taking a nap pool side and they wake me up and ask me if I want to buy something that was formally known as a a frozen drink...

Are you saying they wakened you intentionally to ask you if you wanted a drink? I wouldn't not expect that on Celebrity but am surprised they would try it on any line. Doesn't really put most people in a buying mood.

Generally, the bar servers are not pushy on Celebrity. That being said...we had a very pushy bar server on Mercury in October. Followed us from the Captain's Club party to the dining room. Told a member of our party that someone wanted to buy her a drink. Served the drink and handed the bill to her husband. Definitely complained about that server.

Are you saying they wakened you intentionally to ask you if you wanted a drink? I wouldn't not expect that on Celebrity but am surprised they would try it on any line. Doesn't really put most people in a buying mood.
Did the waiter kick me to wake me up? No. Did I wake-up because he was shouting "Yellow Bird--Who want a Yellow Bird"? YES!

I plan to stick these to the front of my reading material:

No Gracias

Aucuns Merci Vous

Nein vielen Dank

Nessuno Ringraziamento Lei

No Thank You

Geen dank u

Não O Agradeça

Никакое Спасибо

Ingen Takker De

2. "people who work so hard to wait on you" Actually, if I ordered a drink from them, they are waiting on me, if I am taking a nap pool side and they wake me up and ask me if I want to buy something that was formally known as a a frozen drink, they are not much different than the taxi drivers and t-shirt vendors that try to sell you a product or service the second you step off the dock.

In all our cruises on many different lines, I've never seen a bar person wake someone up to ask if they wanted a drink. I think you're exaggerating grossly to suit your own agenda, and it sounded to me like you were disparaging the accents of the servers. Tres tackee. :D

Did the waiter kick me to wake me up? No. Did I wake-up because he was shouting "Yellow Bird--Who want a Yellow Bird"? YES!

I plan to stick these to the front of my reading material:

No Gracias

Aucuns Merci Vous

Nein vielen Dank

Nessuno Ringraziamento Lei

No Thank You

Geen dank u

Não O Agradeça

Никакое Спасибо

Ingen Takker De

Very ingenious idea. Now if everyone would actually READ instructions (anywhere) that might work ;)

In all our cruises on many different lines' date=' I've never seen a bar person wake someone up to ask if they wanted a drink. I think you're exaggerating grossly to suit your own agenda,[/quote']Ever been on a 3-day Carnival cruise?

One place where I noticed very aggressive bar servers aboard the Zenith last month was in the showroom. Well into the show they continued to interrupt us. We quickly learned not to sit at the end of an aisle, because they would pass back and forth in front of you to ask people in the middle seats if they wanted to buy drinks. It was almost the complete opposite of our experience on the Jewel of the Seas a few weeks before -- on that cruise, we frequently walked up to the bar to order drinks because there were rarely enough servers to cover the tables.

We were on Century over Thanksgiving. We spent the 1st sea day on the pool deck, & spent the others a deck above to avoid the pool games. We never had anyone approach us about purchasing a drink. If we decided to order something, my DH would wave them down. They were attentive & watched for anyone who was interested in ordering, but weren't aggressive in the least. At least, that was our experience.

After many cruises (13) with Celebrity, I was surprised just how pushy they have become. It seemed like every few minutes when I was sitting up top by the pool reading my book, one of them came up to me and asked if I would like a drink. It was very bothersome! Usually they just walk back and forth and say bar service, but not this time. They would actually come right up to me even when I was reading and make me stop to answer them. I have never experience this before. Many people that were cruising with us said the same thing.

Not good Celebrity!!!! By the way, we were on the Century. We did have a good time, but I noticed many changes, not all good. We have been on the Century 5 times now, this Christmas as well as last. I am sure they have made some cutbacks and it showed.

Archived