For Those Who Have Cruised the Eastern Caribbean in October...a couple questions!

debjo

Greetings,

I'm hoping to get some responses from people who have previously cruised the Eastern Caribbean during the month of October. Specifically, I'm planning a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Turk, St. Maarten, Tortola, and the cruise line's private island.:D Since October is in the height of hurricane season:eek: , I'm concerned about the types of weather we might encounter. Please tell me what your experiences have been. Have you missed some of your scheduled ports-of-call because of bad weather? What have the temperatures been like for you while cruising that part of the world? Even if you have good weather (no storms), is one likely to encounter rough seas?

I look forward to hearing from you...it will make my planning a bit more realistic. Thanks in advance for all your responses!;)

Debjo

We were dodging Wilma this October. she was wreaking havoc over Cozumel while we enjoyed wonderful weather in the Eastern Caribbean. In St Martin there were a couple of rain showers lasting just a few minutes each it also rained briefly the day we were in St. Thomas and as the ship was ready to pull out at 5:00 that evening, it got really dark looked as if they were going to be in for a storm. The one thing I've learned about cruising during hurricane season is to be flexible. this will be our 4 year sailing in October we do so because of the rates and because there ar fewer children on board. A couple of times we have missed Grand Cayman and been rerouted. My advice to you is just be flexible.

We have cruised serveral times in October to Eastern and Western sides. We have never ran into bad weather any time. One night we were rocking quite a bit and went outside to see there was a storm off in the distance. We went and asked one of the crew about it and they said the captain was outrunning the storm and sure enough he did. Beautiful weather the next day. But be prepared to switch ports if necessary, since the hurricane season seems to have really become active.

Archived