Cave Tubing with a 6 year old

KBfromNC

I assume there are at least 3 reasons for the age limit: the walk, tube size and the darkness of the caves.

It is about a half hour walk from the base to the point where you get into the river. This includes crossing a river which is only about waist high (for an adult), but can have a strong current.

The tubes come in two sizes, both of which would be too big for most 6 year olds. You also need to carry your tube during the walk.

The caves are quite dark and although some people make chains of tubes, it is possible to get separated. In fact, on our cave tubing trip, one child (9 or 10) became hysterical when she was separated form her parents.

We went cave tubing in 1/05 with a party of eight (four children ages 13, 12,10 and 9). My nine year old son was not big enough to peddle his own tube (arms didn't reach the water) so at all times an adult (myself or the guide) had to hang onto his tube. I found this extremely difficult when we were in rapid parts of the water. At one point, my son and I got caught up in a tree in the rapids and I was petrified of letting go of his tube for fear his clothing would get caught on a branch (like mine was!) and he would be forced underwater even though he was wearing a life vest. Now, having said that, I had no fear of the older children in our party floating along and at most points, never even seeing them because they were so far ahead of me and my son. The water is mostly shallow and you are wearing a life vest but unless your husband is willing to hold onto his tube the entire time, I would not let a six year old go at it alone. I only say this because my nine year old son couldn't even reach the water to paddle his own tube so basically he had no control over where he was going. Cave tubing was a very fun and not to be missed activity, however, if you are a protective mother and want your son as well as yourself to actually enjoy this experience to the fullest, I would strongly recommend he sit on your lap if they allow it or be sure that someone can hold onto his tube when you run into rapids or eddys. This is just my personal experience and everyone might not agree with it but I hope it helps you!:)

We went cave tubing in 1/05 with a party of eight (four children ages 13, 12,10 and 9). My nine year old son was not big enough to peddle his own tube (arms didn't reach the water) so at all times an adult (myself or the guide) had to hang onto his tube. I found this extremely difficult when we were in rapid parts of the water. At one point, my son and I got caught up in a tree in the rapids and I was petrified of letting go of his tube for fear his clothing would get caught on a branch (like mine was!) and he would be forced underwater even though he was wearing a life vest. Now, having said that, I had no fear of the older children in our party floating along and at most points, never even seeing them because they were so far ahead of me and my son. The water is mostly shallow and you are wearing a life vest but unless your husband is willing to hold onto his tube the entire time, I would not let a six year old go at it alone. I only say this because my nine year old son couldn't even reach the water to paddle his own tube so basically he had no control over where he was going. Cave tubing was a very fun and not to be missed activity, however, if you are a protective mother and want your son as well as yourself to actually enjoy this experience to the fullest, I would strongly recommend he sit on your lap if they allow it or be sure that someone can hold onto his tube when you run into rapids or eddys. This is just my personal experience and everyone might not agree with it but I hope it helps you!:)

Thanks for the info!!!

I guess I didnt realize that it would be rapids in the cave...I just assumed it would be floating~

My husband is a big guy and would have no problem with my son on his lap (nor would I) BUT...good to know so we can make an informed decision...I think my son would wig if he was in rapids and it was dark...he would be better off on our laps...*IF* they will even allow that~ I will have to look into it~

Thanks folks!!! ;)

We just returned from our cruise and we did cave tubing with a 5 year old girl, 2 8 year old boys and a 12 year old boy. We went with cave-tubing.com and they did and awsome job. They took such good care of us the 5 year old never even got wet. The kids all had a blast. I highly recommend these guys.

KBfromNC: Just a bit more info for you. When we went tubing, we reached our destination, where you got into your tube from a beach in calm shallow water. However, our guide asked us if we wanted a longer ride and everyone agreed to this so we hiked for about 15 minutes longer and entered the river from an area that had deep water and you either jumped in from the rocks and then jumped in your tube, or you were lowered from a rope into your tube. I would say the rocks were about 15 feet above the water. Now the rapids we ran into were not large and fierce like the ones when white water rafting, but we did run into a few small ones and the current was so strong that if you didn't paddle properly you would end up in an eddy (a whirlpool area of water that is difficult, but not life-threatening, to get out of). Because I had my son in tow, I happened to get caught up in every single rapid and eddy along the way because it was difficult for me to steer two tubes. Our guide was fabulous and always came to our rescue even though we were not in any real danger. My point is, I would have had a more relaxing and fun experience if I had control over where we were going. Everyone else in my party and with other tubing companies were whizzing around and floating through the rapids with ease - but there was also NOBODY else towing a child. The lower the water level, the more rapids there will be and our guide told us that sometimes the water levels are so high they cannot even do tours. So if the water is high you might not run into any rapids at all. By the way, there were no rapid areas in the caves at all, they were all outside in the open. I don't think I even told you this but we went with regtours and I highly recommend them. :)

We went with cave-tubing.com.... 3 kids ages 10, 7 and 3 ...Yhony was great with them and they all had a blast. He keeps his groups small, no more than 7 people and always has you linked...feet under arm pits!

It was a highlight of our cruise. Hubby had the 3 year old on his shoulders and Yhony's assistant carried my husbands tube.

We went with cave-tubing.com.... 3 kids ages 10, 7 and 3 ...Yhony was great with them and they all had a blast. He keeps his groups small, no more than 7 people and always has you linked...feet under arm pits!

It was a highlight of our cruise. Hubby had the 3 year old on his shoulders and Yhony's assistant carried my husbands tube.

We went with Yhony and cavetubing.com also, highlight of cruise. took 8 yr old boy and 65 yr old mama, we left our 3 yr old on board but Yhony said we could have done it. But the darkness as caves are several hundred feet long and pitch dark it is not scary as far as rapids go. It is not a "white water rapids ride" more a slow roll down a river you can walk faster than. He keeps each Family in a linked group with a guide, and smaller ones ride on dad's chest in truck ture tube. There is a river to cross on walk up, but you could carry, I would have taken our little guy, IMHO:)

We went with Yhony and cavetubing.com also' date=' highlight of cruise. took 8 yr old boy and 65 yr old mama, we left our 3 yr old on board but Yhony said we could have done it. But the darkness as caves are several hundred feet long and pitch dark it is not scary as far as rapids go. It is not a "white water rapids ride" more a slow roll down a river you can walk faster than. He keeps each Family in a linked group with a guide, and smaller ones ride on dad's chest in truck ture tube. There is a river to cross on walk up, but you could carry, I would have taken our little guy, IMHO:)[/quote']

After all the positive notes on this company...i think we are going to book thru them...Seems the others dont offer this tour to 8 and under during March. Hopefully THEY will...

Will keep you posted~ Thanks for the input to all...I think my son and his 2 little friends will have a blast and it sounds like we will be in good hands!!

Archived