Renting a car or taxi versus taking a tour in Yucatan

Oompa

Anyone have experience finding their own way to Mayan ruins via a rented car or hiring a cab at the port of Progreso/Yucatan/Merida? Do you recommend or not?

Same for the stop in Cozumel.

This is our first cruise on Carnival and appreciate any feedback.

We almost always book tours with private companies or go off on our own and never do the ship tours but...

When we went to Chichen Itza in Progresso we used a Carnival Excursion because the ruin were so far away. It just made it easier We were pleased with tour. It was nice to have peace of mind the entire time.

In Cozumel what ruins are you looking to do? If Tulum we also did a ship tour. We had to take a boat ride and a bus just to get there. If one of the more local, smaller ruins, then I would look into it on my own possibly.

Your probably already know this but just in case you are looking into Tulum.. http://time.com/5191405/us-travel-warning-resort-mexico/

Edited by brookeq
forgot link

I used to rent a car all the time. You could not get me to do it now if it was free.

I would advise sticking to an organized tour. Ship or private, but I would not do a diy tour in this day and age and I am not a not easily scared. To many people out there trying to scam people in one way or another.

You may have someone come in and say they always do it and never had a problem. That's possible, but if there is a problem, it we'll be a BIG problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk