Iceland- Thingvellir or The Bridge

I am travelling with my teenage children and have four days in Iceland with two in Reykjavik. I am trying to decide between Thingvellir and The Bridge Between Two Continents. We don’t have time to do both. My first choice was Reykjanes as we would add in The Lava Tunnel. And because you can see both plates quite close.

We will have already been to Lake Myvatn area including the baths on a tour from Akureyri. Out of Isafjordur we are going to Dynjandi. The first day in Reykjavik we are going on a south coast tour and ending at the Blue Lagoon.

I appreciate any advice regarding this decision.

In your position, I'd choose Thingvellir without giving it a second thought. The Bridge Between Two Continents is a gimmick, because the plate boundary does not break cleanly along one line. There are a number of roughly parallel rifts throughout the area which sit over-top the plate boundary.

icelandglidnun%20copy_300x225.jpg

Instead of saying that you stood on a bridge over a crack in an otherwise (relatively) boring part of Iceland, you could do the following:

If you drive around to the far side of the lake (i.e., if you continue on to Geysir or Gulfoss), you'll definitely be on the Eurasian plate, by any standard of measure.

It's easier to find if you start from the Thingvellir overlook (which is well worth seeing in its own right), but we did the hike while driving back from Gulfoss.

We did both in our 11 day Ring Road Drive. Definitely skip the bridge and go for the National Park. Much prettier, waterfalls, views. And if you are into buying souvenirs, the gift shop there nice and reasonably priced. Try to see as much of the Golden Circle as possible.