Insulin and syringes..what do I do?

MurfAtHome

Are you sure you need to refrigerate your insulin? Most types of insulin do not require this...they only require not being left in hot environments. I am a nurse and work at a hospital and we don't refrigerate our insulin.

Take your own sharps container with you, then take it to the ship's hospital to dispose of at the end of the trip.

Be sure to carry your syringes and insulin with a copy of the prescription in your carry-on luggage. Never check medications.

I would insure that you contact the Cruiseline speical Services and tell them all your needs including diet. When you get on board ask for a sharp's container and they will get one for you. I was on Mariner and they had a refig in the inside room I was in. Mine was a H/C type room.

The Curise line will supply you with a sharps container to discard your used needles ( you need to let the purser know of your needs ). I am not sure abot the spendor of the seas, but the Adventure of the seas had a refrigeratory in all of the Balcony rooms. If it does not have a refrigeratory you can ask the cabin steward to provide ice foa small cooler. The best thing to do is ask the special needs department. ( There is a email address for that department on teh RCL website.

I think that the person who suggested calling the special needs department is absolutely correct. We did this with our mom and the ship provided the sharps container and disposed of it afterwards. Also, they supplied the refrigerator. If the container is not in your cabin, be sure to talk with your steward and then the purser. In any case, have a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

my husband has MS and uses insulin that does need to be kept in a fridge. When wetraveled on Voyager we just had it kept by thein a special needs area and then when he needed we just called the number and they brought it within five mins of the call. Worked very well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived