Is RCI more expensive than Princess??

Cruisin'40

Just curious, haven't talked to our TA until we nail down some dates. We have only sailed Princess and love it, but are looking at other options. It seems from the brochures RCI is significantly more expensive than Princess but sometimes the brochure price can be misleading.

Any tips on getting the best deal on an RCI cruise? We are thinking of booking a holiday cruise next Christmas.

Thanks!

RCI has a policy that the price is supposed to be the same no matter where you purchase the cruise. That being said, I've never paid the brochure price for a RCI cruise, even after the policy change.

In looking through several online sites, it looks like the prices are pretty similar between Carnival, Princess, NCL and RCI for balcony cabins and up. Inside cabins tend to be advertised as higher on RCI. You may not find this true for your particular cruise and I haven't been writing them down. It's just how they turn up when I select search by itenerary/price when I look.

I have never sailed RCI but have our first booked. We liked their Alaska Itinerary. My parents suggested it and they cruise at least six times a year. They retired to cruise.

They have told me, and they should know, there is not a huge difference between RCI and Princess. I just obsess on the tipping difference but I will figure it out. That is why I read the boards.

I have always found to prices to be in line with the two lines. We did book a JR suite for Alaska since you need more clothes as in warm ones. Warm weather places we just do balcony.

We are looking forward to this cruise and joining C&A, but also see it as ones less step to Princess Platinum. Oh well. Pick the cruise that offers what you want to see, but do not be upset if things change. Had that happen on all three of our cruises. No big deal. Still had fun.

It's all supply and demand. RCI's Voyager-class ships are very popular and they are able to obtain higher per diems on sailings compared to other ships. Meanwhile, their Bahamas sailings on Sovereign and Majesty and their Mexican short cruises on Monarch can be dirt cheap. Over at Princess they've not been able to get very high prices on Caribbean Princess even though it's a new ship. Perhaps it's the lousy itinerary. But Princess can get top dollar on Alaska cruises. Both lines get top dollar on European sailings.

Please note that RCI's policy of not letting anyone advertise anything but the official price has nothing to do with "brochure" prices. It has to do with the price RCI is selling each individual cruise for and this varies sailing by sailing. You can buy that cruise from RCI, mega-internet agencies and small hometown agencies for the exact same price.

BobK/Orlando

If the prices are higher it is because people are paying them. If they weren't filling their ships you would see the prices drop dramatically. Prices also vary by the time of the year. Every week RCI and other lines publish special offers and frequently offer great prices on particular cruises. They also sometimes offer residency specials and/or senior rates. Find a good TA who will check these out for you and he or she may find a cruise that you like for less than you would pay on Princess. In some instances the TA may even have a block of group space which was reserved when prices were lower and may be able to put you on that sailing for considerably less than you would have to pay if you had to book it on your own.

There is not much if any difference in tipping policy between the two lines except that Princess automatically adds the tips to your onboard account, while RCI offers you the option of having the tips added or doing them on your own. If you opt to have the tips added, you will receive vouchers and envelopes to distribute to the staff on the last night of your cruise.

It seems from the brochures RCI is significantly more expensive than Princess but sometimes the brochure price can be misleading.
Brochure rates are like MSRP for cars. I don't think anyone pays those prices, at least I wouldn't. There are "early booking" discounts and other ways the cruise lines make you think you are getting a deal compared to brochure rates.

The deal with RCI is that no one is allowed to advertise a lower price than the price set by RCI.

Archived